“Always delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Vez Restaurant

El Vez Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Vez Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 4,341 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Central American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Sansom
Transit: Broad Street Line - Walnut Locust Station.
“Always delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

El Vez is my "go to" restaurant when I have friends in town. The food is always good and if you're not hungry - just have a margarita!

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Although I've submitted positive reviews of this place before, I've had bad takeout and unfortunate experience recently”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Grub Hub is a delivery service and when I ordered food from El Vez, it was just OK. Maybe that happens with takeout.

But last week I visited for Restaurant Week. Cannot deny that they have amazing guacamole. This was part of the price fixed meal. The second course was pretty good too. But then came the wait.... and when a restauant is packed and noisy, waiting for the next course even longer than you had to wait for a table is not a good thing. I was so over the wait that declined the dessert that was included. I told the manager I just wanted to leave. I didn't even eat the main course. By the time it arrived I was done. The excuse was that it's restaruant week and it is hard to prepare that many of the same courses. Then either pick different courses, staff up, or do somethign different. Also, drinks are very expensive.

So why then make me wait after you've dropped off the ticket? That's when I realized they really didn't care. I finally flagged someone down to take payment. Their approach is too casual. They know they are busy so they don't ensure each visit is a good one. Highly disappointed.

(The ratings below that are so low on Romance and Special Occasion are because it's too packed and too noisy, plus too long of a wait.)

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good but not authentic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

For all those that have never travelled south of the border or never met a real mexican person take my opinion this is NOT real mexican food! The waitresses can't even pronounce the words correctly...what does that tell you! Aside from that the food is good, but I would like to point out it is a white persons version/twist on mexican food.

Visited September 2013
Lisle, Illinois
“Great Food w/ High Prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I had the Bazooka guacamole and mahi mahi tacos. The food was great, probably the best guac I've ever had. The hard partis the price which comes to about $6 per taco. The atmosphere isn't bad just louder than I prefer.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Margaritas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We ate dinner here with another couple in June. The appetizers were very good, especially the house guacamole. For main entree I had the steak and it was done perfectly. As good as the food was, it is also worth a trip for cocktails. The blood orange margaritas were by far my favorite. It is one of the best Mexican restaurants in the city area.

• Visited June 2013