“Camp out at Campo's”

Ranked #79 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: For nearly 75 years, Campo’s has been serving cheesesteaks, roast pork, and meatballs using recipes handed down through three generations. Ambrose Campo opened in 1947 as a neighborhood corner butcher shop and his son moved the operation to 214 Market street in 2001. Situated in the center of Old City, on America's Most Historic Mile. Campo's offers a great local beer selection as well as several vegan and gluten free alternatives. Campo's has been featured on the Food Network, and is the official cheesesteak of the Philadelphia Phillies, Flyers and Sixers!
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Started with a Cheesesteak and left with a Italian Hoagie and Cannoli to go. All were great and would have returned if not for my limited time in Philly. Close to historic sites. A family owned and run business, best in the area!

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Campo's makes an excellent classic cheesesteak, like I used to eat 30 years ago. It's 2-3 blocks from the Liberty bell, down Market St toward the waterfront at 214 Market. About 10 small tables inside and a few less outside, very basic eatery, a bit of a line and a fresh grilled sandwich. No fries (you can get those a few stores up the street). If you want hot peppers you have to ask and pay extra. Mushrooms and sweet peppers are extra- on the deluxe.
All in all, a very convenient location for a classic Philly cheesesteak, perfect for anyone visiting the Independence Hall area who doesn't have their own favorite. I used to go down to Gino's, but it's out of the way, and last time I ate there it was lousy, so I was going to change to Pat's.
This was like I remember from when I lived in Philly and we all had our own, local place that made great local cheesesteaks.

1  Thank thimotyR
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were wandering around looking for a place to eat and chose Campos because there were clean outside tables, the inside was packed with smiling eaters, and last but not least the aroma was mouth-watering! GREAT philly steak!! Was so glad we chose this restaurant instead of going acacross town to one of the Food Channel picks. Obviously the food channels havent tasted Campos!

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Yes, I know, cheese steak is the areas specialty, but the reuben at Campos is possibly the most delicious sandwich I've ever eaten. So do the unexpected and order this sandwich - you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I read so many reviews of places downtown for cheese steaks for a trip for my son on his 10th birthday to Philadelphia. I'm so glad we chose Campos.

We got there at a good time (11:00A on Columbus Day Monday) and there were only a couple of people in there. We were immediately greeted and given menus with the recommendation to have a seat and come back when we were ready to order. We wound up with three with the works and one pizza steak.

The food was done quickly and boy was it delicious. The steak was the star of the hoagies but the bread was also delicious. The meat was well cooked and seasoned with a good texture that you can only get from the right cut of meat, cut and cooked well. I was so glad to see real meat and not "Steak-ums."

Although we chose to go with cheese-steaks, I appreciated that there were many other menu options. By the time we left there were quite a few more people in there who had gotten other choices that looked like something I would want to try.

The hoagies were $9+ each and were about 8" long but given the quality of the meat and bread, and the location, I felt the price was a good value.

Speaking of location. We had parked our car at the Liberty Bell Center and were easily able to walk down to Campos. It's an excellent location in the historical section of Philly.

My only caution is that I'm sure this place gets very busy at times and there is limited seating inside. I think it was less than 20 seats total. There was more seating outside but as it was a brisk day, that wasn't being used.

1  Thank Familyof5fromMD