“Why Wasn't It Packed”
Review of Caffe Casta Diva

Caffe Casta Diva
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Casta Diva is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #595 of 4,392 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Locust
Transit: Bus 17 stops at 20th & Locust. Buses 9, 12, 21, 42 stop at 20th & Walnut.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Why Wasn't It Packed”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was there on a Wednesday night so maybe that is the answer. This BYO, moderately priced Italian, probably is on a weekend. The food was just enough different from the usual to make it more exciting without being nuts. The service was good (though the runner did not know who got what). My only caveats are that some of the tables are tight and, be aware, you need cash. In spite of those gripes, it's a great neighborhood place.

• Visited January 2014

Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“BYOB at its BYO-BEST”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

To celebrate the birthday of a friend who lives on Rittenhouse Square, we decided on Caffe Casta Diva, located right around the corner from their residence. I stopped in 30 minutes before our reservation just to arrange with the Maitre De that the check be given to me. Seeing me carrying my wine tote, he offered to hold it for me until we returned for dinner. (Points scored before we even started.) The room has a nice ambiance. Larger than a lot of Philly BYOB's yet still cozy and intimate. Our coats were taken and hung. Water, warm, fresh bread and dipping oil were served as our wines were uncorked and poured. We were informed of the specials and given a few minutes to talk it over. The waiter returned and knowledgeably answered our few questions about preparation. The field salad was chosen by 3 of our party. The 4th chose the Caesar. All salads were chilled and crisp. Our entrees were the Branzino for my wife, Scallop special for our birthday friend, while her husband and I both chose the Veal Chop. My medium was a nice shade of light pink inside while our friend's medium rare was a definite deeper shade of red. In other words, all entrees were actually cooked to perfect specification. Service, provided by waiter Dave assisted by his busboy, was attentive, prompt and unobtrusive. The food was delicious. Desserts were a chocolate torte and gelatos. We closed the place as we sat and talked and sipped our Port. Never did we feel rushed or like they were waiting for us to leave. They continued to refill our water glasses but otherwise stayed comfortably away. When we left, we were assisted with our coats and urged to return soon. We most definitely will. This was BYOB dining at its best.

Wilmington, Delaware
“Marvelous Insalata & Pasta”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Walking into this cozy, BYOB Italian restaurant we looked at one another and nodded, this will be a wonderful dining experience, and it was. We restrained ourselves from eating too much bread with buttery olive oil. Beet insalata was divine, beets (cooked to perfection), micro-greens, thinly shaved jicama, candied pistachios with a light vinergarette topped the flattened round of goat & ricotta cheese. Shaved Roasted Artichoke insalata was better than the one I had in Provence this past June … yummy.

My husband all but licked his plate after savoring the Spinach Tagliatelle. I had the pasta special with duck confit … delicious. We will be back!!

• Visited November 2013
United States
“Great Italian Cuisine....Excellent Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

First of all, allow me to preface this critique with a couple items of interest.... This is a BYOB establishment, so you may bring a beverage of your choice. Also, the restaurant is cash only, so leave your plastic in your wallet. Not open on Sunday either, which is a bit odd since it could be a busy night for dining out.

The restaurant itself is very nice and intimate. It is clean, and roomy enough to provide comfort. Service was excellent, and the chef/owner was very friendly and accommodating. He visited our table to make sure we were satisfied with our wonderful Italian cuisine. And it was wonderful, as well as creative.

The menu is limited, but that's OK. Offer a few specialized dishes, and do them extremely well. I dined with a party of four, and we all ordered a different item from the menu. Each dish was superb (we tasted each others meal). You wouldn't go wrong with any item from the menu. There are also very nice dessert offerings as well. We also tried four desserts, and they were wonderful. Cibo eccellente!

• Visited July 2013
Avondale, Pennsylvania, United States
“My "foodie" brother and sister-in-law from NYC were impressed!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having dined here several times with my husband, I felt it was a great place to take my brother and sister-in-law who live in NYC. They were quite taken by the charm of Caffe Casta Diva. I read reviews about the wait staff but we had a very positive experience. Our waitress explained the specials, was efficient and pleasant without being overly present. All the food was perfectly made and presented. I had lamb chops on a parsnip puree. Can't recall the other meals but the plates had nothing left on them! Would not hesitate to return!

• Visited February 2013