“Two Words: Vegan Cheesesteak”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blackbird Pizzeria

Blackbird Pizzeria
Ranked #130 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Princeton, New Jersey
“Two Words: Vegan Cheesesteak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

This really is a diamond in the ruff. Perfect to grab a super casual, quick vegan meal. A lot of the vegan/vegetarian options in Philly are Asian cuisine, which is all well and good but not was I was looking for. It's kind of on a small street with only a few close parking spaces that are on a pay-by-ticket machine and does have a rather hole-in-the-wall feel to it. Order at the counter with only a handful of tables. It's exactly the local pizza place we all know... but vegan!

I had the Vegan Cheesesteak, which was sublime, made with marinated seitan and soy cheese. Judging from my pre-vegan days, this definitely fit the bill for a cover of the classic sandwich. I also had the Mushroom Salad which was fresh and the peppercorn dressing was very tasty (made with veganaise, I believe). My mother got the Veggie Wrap which was absolutely packed with a great variety. We were fawning over the food and will be back to try the Vegan Cuban sandwich and some of the pizzas.

Only disappointment was the cookie - it was pretty dry. Next time it'll have to be the cupcakes!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank CostalCruiser

• Korean first
New Jersey
“Best vegan pizza!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

By far my favorite local spot for vegan pizza. If you are arriving by car, finding a parking spot can be a challenge but well worth it. I have tried several different pizzas and the cheesesteak and I have loved everything I have tried. I think my favorite is the fungi pizza.

san francisco
“Excellent vegan pizza and sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I go there every chance I have. Don't get the desserts. Their from Vegan Treats and although they taste good they're made with hydrogenated oils/transfats.

• Visited June 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The best in Philly for alternative meals.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Blackbird is awesome. Amazing pizza and hot sandwiches, nice staff and always clean. Never been disappointed with anything ive had there.

• Visited June 2012
Buffalo, New York
“Tiny hole-in-the-wall pizza and sandwich shack...for vegans!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

From the looks of the place, I wouldn't expect much. It looked like a typical dive pizza slice shop in any big city. The website looked quite nice and didn't really match the experience when we sat down, but I was hungry and not in need of fancy tables and crazy decorations. I'll leave it to the experts to decide how good the food is overall, but for vegan junk food, it was pretty decent. We tried the Egg-less Egg salad sandwich...and a Vegan Cuban with smoked tofu. Both were pretty tasty, although I came in wanting to try a seitan cheesesteak and should have stuck to my guns because someone else was eating one in the dining room and it looked awesome..
The pizzas were NY style...thin crust with what looked like Daiya "cheese", vegan sandwich pepperoni (which didn't resemble anything I've seen in a store...perhaps it was homemade), or a nice assortment of veggies and a few faux meats.
I'm not a hardcore vegan, but I try to keep to the diet as much as I can...so it's good to see places of all sorts that cater to plant-eaters. The fancy, modern, green vegan bistros that serve all organic expensive salads and entrees are nice, but it is also nice to be able to grab some meat-free fast food that isn't chock full of dairy, cholesterol, fat, and preservatives. They deliver too!

• Visited April 2012