“Excellent vegan pizza and sandwiches”
Review of Blackbird Pizzeria

Blackbird Pizzeria
Ranked #109 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I go there every chance I have. Don't get the desserts. Their from Vegan Treats and although they taste good they're made with hydrogenated oils/transfats.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Blackbird is awesome. Amazing pizza and hot sandwiches, nice staff and always clean. Never been disappointed with anything ive had there.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

From the looks of the place, I wouldn't expect much. It looked like a typical dive pizza slice shop in any big city. The website looked quite nice and didn't really match the experience when we sat down, but I was hungry and not in need of fancy tables and crazy decorations. I'll leave it to the experts to decide how good the food is overall, but for vegan junk food, it was pretty decent. We tried the Egg-less Egg salad sandwich...and a Vegan Cuban with smoked tofu. Both were pretty tasty, although I came in wanting to try a seitan cheesesteak and should have stuck to my guns because someone else was eating one in the dining room and it looked awesome..
The pizzas were NY style...thin crust with what looked like Daiya "cheese", vegan sandwich pepperoni (which didn't resemble anything I've seen in a store...perhaps it was homemade), or a nice assortment of veggies and a few faux meats.
I'm not a hardcore vegan, but I try to keep to the diet as much as I can...so it's good to see places of all sorts that cater to plant-eaters. The fancy, modern, green vegan bistros that serve all organic expensive salads and entrees are nice, but it is also nice to be able to grab some meat-free fast food that isn't chock full of dairy, cholesterol, fat, and preservatives. They deliver too!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have visited this place numerous times and even brought non-vegetarians here, and we all agree that the food is wonderful. The place is not fancy by any means...it's an order at the counter type of pizza shop atmosphere. But the food is excellent, and reasonably priced considering it is a specialty food. I would choose their pizza over most "real" pizza shop pizza any day of the week. And their sandwiches are excellent too (they make a chic pea salad that tastes like chicken salad...very yummy!). Definitely worth a visit if you're looking for vegan food and in the South Street area.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is basically a hole in the wall pizza joint - but vegan, which is why I went. There were crumbs all over the tables and the bathroom was filthy. It did not bode well. We ordered and the food was very mediocre. Would not recommend.