“My favorite Philly restaurant”
Review of Dmitri's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dmitri's
Neighborhood: City Center West
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I've been going to Dimitri's for over 15 years and it has never failed me! I prefer the 3rd and Catherine location even though it's tough to get seating at times (the restaraunt is tiny and there are no reservations). I usually go with friends and we always just split a bunch of appetizers and small plates versus ordering individual meals. Our favorites are the hummus (so so good with the freshly toasted pita), octopus (douse in lemon!), and the sauteed shrimp, though I have never had anything bad there (other than the entree sides mentioned below). The smelts and mussels are also very good. If you do get the entrees I would recommend the salmon or blue fish. One more note - the entrees come with bland rice and steamed greens. I don't know why they serve these still because I've never seen anyone eat them! Still, this is my favorite place in Philly and when you get the bill you will be very pleased at the low price you'll pay for an awesome meal!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We have been eating at Dimitri's since it opened in queen village. Get there early and prepare to wait.Very small, very crowded....but the food is beyond amazing. Fresh, very simply prepared, no heavy sauces and distracting decoration on the plate. The best hummus and grilled pita, by far the best grilled octopus in the city...I could go on, I have everything on the menu at least once... Order a bunch of small plates and share with the table, and the table next to you... BYOB makes it very affordable! My "go to"restaurant in Philly...

Reviewed February 10, 2013

1st - this is not for everyone. It is BYOB, Cash Only, No Reservations and small (you will be sitting very closely to your neighbors, and I wouldn't want to show up with more than 4 people, though you could probably swing 6). OK, that sounds like a lot, but it is TOTALLY worth it. You show up, they'll take your name and your wine so they can refrigerate it, and then you head across the street to the New Wave Cafe for a drink before dinner. Someone will come get you when a table is ready. Then, be prepared to be blown away with simple, wonderfully fresh, delicious Greek style food. The hummus is awesome, we also love the shrimp pil pil, the grilled scallops and the grilled octopus. The escarole is wonderful. AND, very reasonably priced.

1  Thank Jean D
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The smelts were great, very good service, & a moderate price. Friend had whole fish that was fantastic. We shared a bunch of really good appitizers. It was a Sunday & not too crowded, street parking was pretty easy. Veggie are ala carte & are very tasty.

1  Thank BoSox999
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We love this place. It's a great neighborhood spot, but I think overall, their food is consistently delicious... and overall, a great value. We almost always get their shrimp pil pil. It's a little spicy, but the heat is perfect. The grilled scallops are wonderful with a touch of lemon and herbs. The potatoes are crunchy and seasoned with rosemary. Also, the breaded flounder is crispy, but has a great, simplistic flavor. The mixed appetizer plate is rather large, but is also very good.

Inside, it can be a little noisy, but it's not that bad. I really like eating at the bar.

My only complaint (and it's very minor and based on the fact that I love this place!) is that they don't like doing takeout. They do it on occasion, but typically they won't take your order over the phone. We would probably order from here once a week if they did! :)