“TV Winner”
Review of Caribou Cafe

Caribou Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Caribou Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #251 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut, or the Market-Frankford Line to 11th Bus Lines: 23,47,21,42
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I saw the owner chef win an episode of the television show Chopped. After having Sunday brunch there, I understand why he was a winner. The food was good, and the prices not bad.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I had lunch and drinks at the fine wooden bar during the France-Nigeria World Cup match. I was expecting the place to be bursting with French fans as it often is during these matches, but apparently most of them stayed home or watched on other venues. Even the owner who was there for the previous match with his raucous french buddies had elected to stay home this time. (I guess a Monday at Noon is an awkward time to drink wine and cheer for that other red, white and blue.) So it was just me and a few diehards, but we made up in enthusiasm what we lacked in numbers. I have eaten there before and the food is almost always uniformly delicous and well prepared with fairly modest, typical but carefully and creatively crafted bistro faire. Most folks will be really pleased with the familiar menu...it's hard to go wrong. So let me concentrate on the Pate du chef I had this time, since it is my favorite pate anywhere, anytime, including in Paris. The accompanying small salad was fresh with a great vinagrette dressing. The Cournichons were crunchy and tasty. Le Moutarde was hot and delicious and blew a pleasant hole into my nasal cavity. The small cut up pieces of crusty bread were warm and delicious and when I asked for another helping of bread to help finish off the Pate, it was gracefully brought with a slab of fresh, creamy salt butter as well. The Pate itself was fantastic...with a hint of sweetness (Currants, maybe?) Service was friendly and efficient and very evenly paced. The room is fine...unpretentious bistro style with a sidewalk cafe out on Walnut Street to boot. Casual, but not sloppy. I'm going back yet again. Prices were also very decent. The Pate with accompanying small salad, bread etc. was only about $9.50. Other prices are on par. The reason for the Excellent rating (somewhat self-evident, I guess) is that you will pay far higher prices for French food in Philadelphia which may be fancier but is no more intelligently prepared. So price point and atmosphere push these place over the top.

1  Thank TommyBoy94
Reviewed June 19, 2014

With a modest selection of very nice simple dishes, this small restaurant with tables spilling out onto the sidewalk was just what we wanted when we got into our hotel a bit late this evening. I had the roast chicken with incredibly delicate gnocchi, and my wife had the Skate, a first-for-us-fish with nice density and a new flavor.

The tables are the proper small size you find in a bistro in Paris, the wine selection was nice, and the staff was pleasant though not terribly knowledgeable. I give it all five stars for doing the job it does very well, but it's not the place to go for the most fabulous meal ever.

1  Thank Palta
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Needed a restaurant in Philly centre on a Sunday to say thank you to our hosts whilst holidaying in the US. Many restaurants were booked or closed. Caribou Cafe's French food hit the spot as we have fond memories of France. The service was good although the lad who did the water and bread was a bit vague. We had snails in a chive butter on a small brioche bun, steak tartare, New York strip in au poivre, amish chicken, crime brûlée, crepe and our wines were sav blanc and Malbec finished off with, Poire William liqueur. All delicious and generous portions.

A great hit with us all in a relaxed setting.

2  Thank matilda48
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely meal here and it was very reminiscent of time we spent in France. Great food, nicely presented, wonderful dessert.

1  Thank Mary D