“French Charm in Philly”
Review of Caribou Cafe

Caribou Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Caribou Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #242 of 4,488 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut, or the Market-Frankford Line to 11th Bus Lines: 23,47,21,42
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I spotted Caribou Bistro from the bus window on Walnut Street. The bistro is on Walnut near 11th Ave. The bistro could be set in Paris and serves French classics. I had a "Crepe Madame" and my friend had a slamon quiche. The lunch was tasty and reasonably priced.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had been to the Caribou Cafe during a short visit to Philadelphia in 2009, and loved it. I returned to it twice during another short weekend in Philly just earlier this month. If anything I was even more impressed. I was with a small group of family/friends and we began with a drink at the enticing bar of the Caribou, then made our way to a table and had the difficulty of selecting from a mouth-watering menu of items that I remember from my visits to similar cafes in Paris. Faced with any number of dishes I wanted, I opted for one of the simplest, the Caribou burger, which was simply delicious. My brother ordered the Croque Monsieur and liked it every bit as much as I did the burger. Others in the party chose seafood, from a selection that included escargot, mussels, shrimp, Scottish salmon, skate fish and rainbow trout. Meat eaters can enjoy steak, chicken, and bratwurst, in addition to Boeuf Bourguignon and Cassoulet (which I came VERY close to ordering). There are also crepes and quiche, a lovely variety of salads, and several soups, including the traditional onion soup gratinee, which I tasted and pronounced exceptional. It's a wonderful selection!

The desserts are heavenly, and include a chocolate mousse from a recipe by the mother of owner Olivier de Saint Martin, one of the great chefs of France (and he really is!), which was pronounced delicious. Have an espresso after and as you stroll out, satisfied by the ambience, the friendly service and especially the food, you'll feel as if you're leaving a charming little piece of France, as you step into the bustling Walnut Street of Philadelphia.

I highly recommend the Caribou Cafe!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Caribou's menu hits all the French classics, but doesn't stray into anything that won't be familiar to less-adventurous eaters. Service is solid, but not outstanding. The decor will transport you back to your favorite corner bistro in Paris.
Well worth a stop, especially at happy hour.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Despite captivating television advertisements the Caribou Cafe is a place truly to be avoided.
I have to say that our dinners were the worst in recent memory. Local Philadelphians, my wife and
I ordered the saucisses platter and the hake. The former was an incorrect order consisting of a
flaccid version of sausages along with sauerkraut and boiled potatoes, rather than the brauwurst
platter with salad and frites that we expected. The hake was a gray, tasteless greasy piece of fish
on top of some beans and stewed tomatoes, with no haricot vert in sight. The platter was so
revolting that I dined on their stale bread and butter as an alternative. The check for this mess
(including a martini and one coffee) was $85 including tip. With so many excellent restaurants in
Philadelphia one would be well advised to avoid the Caribou Cafe.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

actually better!
The perfect spot for a romance. My wife and I had dinner last wednesday and ooh la la! the food was equal if not better that the petit bistro in the country side of France. The wines were generously poured and the service very professional. The music and the feel reminded me my French vacation. My wife is very critical and she loved it!