“Excellent old school Italian in South Philly”
Review of Ristorante Pesto

Ristorante Pesto
Ranked #1 of 5,326 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Giovanni and Concetta Varallo are honored to welcome you to RISTORANTE PESTO. Our meals are prepared in the finest Authentic Italian Tradition, using only the freshest, highest quality ingredients available. Chef Giovanni Varallo's and Chef Maria Varallo-Facenda's care, dedication and attention to detail transform every dish into a work of art. We hope your stay with us is a "Dining Experience."
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From the warm welcome, through the 3 courses, to the final bill, this place is a joy. Classy but not pretentious. Simple but not simplistic. Good, inventive food that doesn't try too hard.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (2,715)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We love dining at Ristorante Pesto. The food is always delicious and Connie and her staff are friendly and warm.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My Husband and I are local S.Philly Italians. We love a good home cooked meal and appreciate great food. We love a nice Sunday dinner, but sometimes, its hard to prepare with the hustle and bustle of life. When you have good cooks at home its hard to enjoy eating out....unless it’s Excellent! That is what comes to mind when I think of Pesto Restaurant. We have been to so many of the local byob’s and restaurants, etc. Nothing compares to Pesto. From the location, to ambiance, to the lovely Connie greeting you and making you feel so welcomed, trust me when I say you feel right at home and you just sense the food is made with Love. Now, about the food...I will warn you, it is hard to decide from the Specials. Everything sounds so delicious and I admire the creativity of each special. From my experience, I highly recommend the eggplant rollatini, the stuff braciole, the burrata with prosciutto, the stuffed bronzino, the apple tart with vanilla gelato, it’s impossible to have a favorite because everything is delicious. I mean even down to the side dish order of spaghetti garlic aioli is simply outstanding; however, my absolute favorite, by far the Best in the City - I think Award Winning - are the homemade Gnocchi. Please trust me when I say - they are the best I’ve ever had! They are a must order. I will definitely be back again and again and again for the food and to see Connie!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This visit was our first time at Pesto but you'd never know it by the warm welcome & treatment we received! Concetta and the whole team make you feel right at home and went above & beyond to ensure that we had a wonderful experience from start to finish. We had the balsamic carrots, parmigiana mushrooms, and a caesar salad to start, followed by the cavatelli special (shrimp, lobster and crab over pasta with a rose sauce) and the stuffed steak. Everything was cooked to perfection and so good! No room for dessert but...next time! Looking forward to returning soon and will certainly recommend to family/friends. Thank you, Pesto!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Came here for to celebrate 1 year together with my boyfriend. They treated us like celebrities. Eric, our server was attentive, friendly, funny and all around awesome. The atmosphere was nice. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves at each table. Food was amazing. Their reputation is well earned!