“Romantic Foodie Heaven”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Moshulu

Moshulu
Reserve with OpenTable
Moshulu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Lombard Circle
Description: The Moshulu, the World's oldest and largest four-masted Tall Ship offers unsurpassed views and a unique backdrop for intimate to extraordinary dining and celebrations. Our private dining rooms, outdoor open-aired and tented decks combined with delectable, award-wining American cuisine and impeccable service create the perfect setting for memorable events.
Warwick, PA
“Romantic Foodie Heaven”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I go out once or twice a year for what we call our "Electric Bill Dinner" because we go to restaurants that cost almost or just as much as our electric bill. This year we decided to go to the Moshulu. I have lived in the Philadelphia area all my life and always wanted to eat there. We love to try new things and this place was not a disappointment.

Service: Service was great. Our waiter only had four tables total so the service was amazing. He made great recommendations that improved our meal and experience.

Atmosphere: This restaurant is on a cargo ship from the 1800's. It is beautiful and on the water overlooking the Delaware River and Camden waterfront. Great
atmosphere. Bathrooms were clean but really small (due to the age of the ship)

Food: We started with the cheese plate....amazing selection and delicious. Plating was beautiful. They serve warm rolls with house made butter with sea salt and honey. Yummy!

My husband had the swordfish steak special and it was delicious (we always share). I had the filet and it was divine. It melted in my mouth and no need for a steak knife. We finished the meal with desserts that did not disappoint. I had the chocolate smores dessert...sea salt vanilla ice cream. My husband had the chocolate sampler. The meal was amazing and one of the best we have ever had.

Come prepared to spend about $100 per person if you have three courses and alcohol but it is well worth it.

1 Thank bethjimusa1

Houston, Texas
“a genuine trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

This large vessel berths at Penn's Landing on the Delaware River and is exotically fitted out as a luxury liner dining room and bar (saloon)? It is elegant and moored at a slight list just for fun. It is excellent for a special occasion and reading the history of the ship is quite interesting from its original life as a Scandinavian cargo boat along the South American Coast to being impounded in World War and now refitted by a Campbell Soup Heiress-but you are here about the food-not soup, although it is quite delicious. It is excellent-highly recommend-our party of eight fully enjoyed our meal in this exotic location with excellent service. The menu was satisfyingly varied; it is an adventure in itself.

• Visited February 2014
East Windsor, New Jersey
“More of a 3.5 in my eyes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

The idea of having a dinner on a ship was really appealing and exciting, so I went for Moshulu for my wife's birthday. The goal was to have a drink topside before our reservations, but the bar was closed for a private party. The website said to call first and check on the availability of the bar and I did not, so it was definitely my fault.
We were offered a table early instead, and we went for it. We were given a table for 4 to 6 facing the view of the water. It was awkward with just the 2 of us, as we were sitting next to each other and facing the 2 occupied tables in front of us (and the view beyond them), but we got used to it after a bit.
The waitress came to take our drink order about 5 minutes after we were seated and we then ordered the salumi and cheese platter. $29, which was a bit steep, but I have to say that it was very enjoyable sampling the combos. The board containing the food was probably 2 feet long and had other items on it, like pickled onions, fresh mustard, and more. Very fun, but I would have been happier at $20, or even $25 for it, and they still would have made good money.
The waitress was very friendly, but I think a bit too friendly. Nothing inappropriate, but she did keep on talking and talking. We realized after a bit that she did not show up often to our table because she was happily talking at length at other tables. Balance is needed there.
We both ordered steaks - mine was the boneless rib eye, medium rare, and my wife ordered a different steak (I forget), medium well. Side orders were extra crispy fries for me and scalloped potatoes for her. The steaks came after a reasonable amount of time. My steak was cooked as I asked. My wife had a very rare steak - purple in the middle. The problem? We could not find the waitress! Was she taking a break from talking or talking at a table out of our view? Also, my wife never got her side order - again, could not find the waitress. My extra crispy fries? They looked crisp, but were floppy and cool. I am guessing they were sitting around a bit. Dessert was 5 pieces of chocolates for $10. We shared and were okay with that.

So overall a good experience, but if I am going to spend a bit about $240 with tip, I am going to expect a better experience than this one. I will go back, but only for drinks and maybe apps upstairs. BTW, our bill was actually about $195. I put in $240 cash and was looking for $5 back. Got tired waiting for the waitress again, so said the heck with it and left.

The view was okay, but could have been a bit better. The ship is right across from a walking pier. I would much rather see an unobstructed view across to NJ. You probably have this topside.

1 Thank Bill_From_Jersey
Bowie, Maryland
“Unprofessional Hostesses Tarnished an AMAZING Dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a 5:15 reservation March 8th to celebrate her birthday. She was dressed in a formal gown and myself in a suit. Upon arrival the hostess took my wife"s full length Brown Beaver handed me the ticket & walked back to the hostess area leaving me standing with my Black Top Coat. I had to call her back to take my coat. This was annoying and not a good start to the evening. Our server Jhon & the manager were "AMAZING" and I tipped him handsomely. I left the dinner table to find the men's room, I approached the hostess area, several young ladies looked me directly in the eyes and turned away from me; continuing to do nothing as I ask them for directions. Another hostess whom was engaged on the phone directed me to the men's room while the other three continued to ignore me. Now we are an interracial couple and I don't know if this was a issue with them or not, but unfortunately it certainly started to feel like it was.

Even so because of the AMAZING waiter service and meal, upon our departure, I wanted to leave a tip for the coat check as we'll. I asked the four hostesses at the front if they had change. One of them looked annoyed and directed me to a full bar area with a long line of people to get change. It seemed ridiculous for me to stand for who knows how long to give hostesses whom gave such poor service a tip. It would have been the proper etiquette for one of the four hostesses to go to the bar or anywhere else in the restaurant to get change so that they could get that coat check/hostess tip, especially when of the four were not currently engaged in any type of customer service activity. We were so disappointed with their attitude, lack of hospitality and customer service, that we felt we had no choice but to leave without without tipping the hostess/coat check staff.

I have to finish by saying that the wait staff the kitchen and management were the bright spot in our evening. We were treated with amazing appetizers and extras from the kitchen to celebrate my wife's birthday and our entrées were impeccable. On a scale of 1-10, though the server and food were Amazing unfortunately I have to give the Resturaunt an over all score of a 7. The hostesses left a first and last impression that was SO bad that it detracted from the outstanding food and service of the manager and wait staff. I emailed the owner twice since March 8th with now response. In the past we had always had an amazing experiences at Moshulu's so this was unfortunate. I have taken them off my Open Table Favorites list and we shall not be returning until I get a response from the owner or manager informing me that the hostesses have been retrained in etiquette and hospitality.

2 Thank josephandkari
Santa Clarita, California
“Scratch Another From The List”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have wanted to try out Moshulu for quite awhile. The masts of the ship were a beautiful sight as we pulled into the private parking area right next to the restaurant. The parking cost 15.00. OUCH!!
We grumbled a bit but parked there due to the convenience. When we boarded the boat/restaurant, the floor was slanted to the right; a reminder that I wasn't on dry land anymore. We were a bit early and sat at the bar where a very friendly bartender greeted us and served us quickly in spite of a full house. We were seated for dinner at our exact appointed time.
Our waiter was attentive and pleasant and our orders arrived hot and in short order. I ordered a lamb/ravioli appetizer with artichokes, asparagus and goat cheese and a crispy tempura lobster roll appetizer. My husband ordered the scallops and managed to also eat most of my lobster appetizer as well.
The food was good, just not superb. There is plenty of it, but the prices are pretty high. The atmosphere seems dated; dark and not all that special (except that you are sitting inside a masted sailing ship). I think the interior needs to be "spiffed up" and made to appear more inviting.
All in all, I'm glad we tried Moshulu and we had a great time. I'm not sure I would return.

2 Thank Holymolyma