“Adobe Cafe disappointed with bad food and atmosphere”
Review of Adobe Cafe

Adobe Cafe
Ranked #864 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Manayunk
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I bought a Groupon and planned to go to Adobe Cafe. But last week I was invited to tour the Eastern State Penitentiary for Halloween. Our group of 8 needed a quick dinner so I suggested the Adobe Cafe because Mexican is usually fast. Let me say the staff was very nice. They pulled two lopsided wobbly tables together for our group. We ordered frozen marguaritas and the night only got worse from there. The drinks had no taste; they were just smooth ice. If they had tequila we didn't taste or 'feel' it. The quacamole avacado dip has little taste and missed the mark big time....green paste. Our food was more than disappointing. We all ordered something different and we all left over half the food on the plates. No dessert...why bother. My advice, skip this place! But I note that many people leave good reviews for this restaurant. I concede that maybe it was just a bad night maybe a reaplcement cook or something. If you think this is good mexican food then you REALLY need to try elsewhere!! I won't even be going back to use my Groupon.

2  Thank VegasFellow

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We found Adobe Cafe's South Philly location through Groupon, and I must say that it was a decent value for the discounted price we paid with the voucher. But would I return for another meal at full prices - probably not. Why? Mostly because we were kind of underwhelmed by the quality of the food. I'm going to make this a brief review, without much specific detail, and just say that in our opinion, many of the items we tried (appetizers, entrees and desserts) were unimpressive in terms of flavor and texture. They weren't bad, but not as outstanding as similar fare we've had in our own Cherry Hill, NJ area. The service was quite attentive and courteous. One last mention is the restaurant itself - I'm suspicious the lights are kept low for a reason - it would benefit from a bit of updating.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

My wife and I love this place & go whenever we get the chance. Chips & Salsa are delicious as are the fajitas, burrito's & tacos. Ambiance is nice & casual. Service is always pretty good. Sangria is tasty as well. Prices are reasonable & parking in the lot across the street is easy & there is always space.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We have been going to the Adobe Cafe for many years now. The wide variety of choices, including lots of vegetarian, and even burgers for those who do not like Mexican food (our daughter for example...), has made it a 'go to" choice for us.

The food is consistently good with huge portions. I also love the flavored margaritas :) The mushroom quesadilla is a standout, as are the red pepper and mushroom soups (specials I think) Tortilla soup is also excellent. (Guess they do soup well!) We have found a soup and quesadilla is a nice amount of food for dinner, or just an entree. An appetizer and entree are too much. Go hungry!

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Four of us went to the 1919 Passyunk Avenue location for dinner on a Saturday at 5:00pm because of a coupon deal. My first impression was "This place is a dive! Will my friends still respect my opinions when this is over?! This food better be good!!!" The place was practically empty when we arrived which only added to my trepidation. However, we were warmly greeted at the door and allowed to seat ourselves. The server was friendly, however the service was a little slower than expected, but what the heck, we're south of the border! The food was good. The portions were generous and the prices were fair. We had grilled jerk calamari, fried calamari and beef tips (YUMMY!!) for appetizers. Dinner was chicken and beef fajitas and shrimp kabob. The beef was sent back with no problems (too tough) and replaced with chicken. Dessert was flourless chocolate cake for all. All were satisfied with the dinner and all said they would return to this restaurant.