“excellent modern sushi place”
Review of Zama

Zama
Reserve with OpenTable
Zama is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #204 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Japanese, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Moravian
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Run by a former chef from Pod, Zama caters to true sushi lovers. Very original rolls, extra fresh sushi, few fusion-style options - great combination of ingredients for one of the best japanese places in Philly. Do not miss spider roll nor hamachi tataki and spicy crunchy tuna - all excellent.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We needed to find a restaurant near Rittenhouse Square and wanted sushi and tried this place based on reviews from Trip Advisor and Yelp. Marimoto was ranked higher but also looked way more expensive so we decided to try Zama instead. It has a sushi bar up front and then a bunch of tables close together in a long skinny room with an eclectic wooden look. Good service is key to enjoying a night out and our waitress was fantastic; it was a sunday night so there wasn't a whole lot going on but she had 5 tables but she checked on us multiple times and was spot on with her drink reccomendations. I had the miso soup and we made our own sushi rolls which wasn't at all a problem. For two of us 2 drinks each with miso soup, a salad, 1 appetizer, and 4 rolls between the two of us, the bill came to $96 which really isn't bad at all for a night in the city. I know some people said this place was a bit pricey but I think that all depends on what you plan on ordering. Food was good, not great, but the service will definitely keep me coming back. I would reccmend over some of those overpriced pretentious sushi places.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We took our daughter to Zama for her 22nd birthday. We were seated in a private room with a large party of college students that were loud and annoying. We considered asking to be moved, but decided to just go with it.
The menu was so extensive and even after reviewing it at home, it was still hard to make a decision. Our waiter offered no help, but perhaps he was also annoyed with the loud crowd behind us. In addition, the menu was very difficult to see even with glasses. There was less description of the food on the online menu than the restaurant menu, but still the restaurant menu did little to offer an explanation of the food. My husband ordered the pork chop- it arrived tempura style and drizzled with mustard which was not indicated on the menu- my husband hates mustard.
I had the sushi and sashimi combo which was tasty. Our oldest daughter had teriyaki salmon which she enjoyed and the birthday girl had the Philly style rolls, she was happy with her selection. I think for all of us- the salads were the most delicious part of the meal. The most disappointing part of the entire evening was that the food was served so sporadically. The salads came out quickly, then at about 15 to 20 minute intervals starting with the pork chop- 15 minutes later, my daughter's salmon- 15 minutes again and my sushi, finally more than an hour after my husband was served his meal- the birthday girl got her meal. The waiter did tell us that "since the food is all made fresh, it will not all come out at the same time". All I could think of was "Why wouldn't the food be made fresh? Where has this guy worked before?"
I wouldn't go back to Zama. I think everyone should be served at remotely the same time. When we are out to dinner or even at home, we wait until everyone is seated and ready to begin our meal together.

1  Thank Zuzu17
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Location is ideal, service/staff is knowledgable, friendly and accomodating, food was amazing especially the fried brussel sprouts, those were out of this world! Overall had a great experience and will return.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great service. Our server was very helpful with the menu since it was our first visit. Portions were good. Everything was fresh and tasty and not at all boring. My only complaint is the the cost. Drinks were expensive even for a high end Philly restaurant. Dinner for two with drinks and tip $180. I will recommend and would return - but not often.