“Excellent Seafood”

Ranked #864 of 4,610 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I returned to this "South Philly" neighborhood eatery after many years and were not disappointed. We shared an excellent gazpacho (Cold Spanish Soup), she had a grilled octopus and I had the grilled squid and they were both done to prefection. Service was great. The restaurant is a BYOB, cash only and they do nt open until 5:30 PM.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

What was once my favorite restaurant in Phiily has continued its sad slide downhill. The current cooks just cannot duplicate the quality and consistency that earmarked this small BYOB. Time and time again, they overcook the time honored dishes that made Dmitri's what is has been for 20 years. Over the last several visits, just weeks apart they are disappointing in their preparation. Tonight one dish we ordered was fried calamari. In the past, we honestly have felt that no where in all our travels, have we enjoyed the calamari as much as at Dmitri's. Tonight they overcooked it. True, one mistake does not change everything, granted. However, the same thing happened a few weeks ago with the sautéed mussels. Crispy is okay, crunchy in NOT. Also, we have stopped ordering the grilled octopus when it started to always come out over grilled and tough and burnt. We are not seeing the crowds that once graced this establishment and we are starting to understand that there is a reason. Hopefully Dmitri's management will be listening to this review and query their cooks why they are so consistent in overcooking their dishes. I really have loved this place for 20 years and hope that they can go back to the way it used to be. Otherwise, I will go elsewhere.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

This neighborhood restaurant prides itself with fresh fish and seafood cooked to perfection. It is extremely popular and often there is a line waiting.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Hands down the most authentic Greek food since we visited Greece last September! And it was incredible! Menu offerings are a la carte, so you can try numerous things. We ordered way more than we could eat! Greek salad, sauteed greens and seafood were all fabulous! And don't miss the sizzled cheese! (Though I didn't actually see sizzled cheese anywhere in Greece, it's still quite delicious!) Hummus was probably the one dish I could have done without; not bad, but not as outstanding as everything else.
ps It's BYOB.
Oh and we went to the one on N 2nd St. There appears to be 3 locations in Philly.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've been taking business colleagues, clients, family and friends here since this restaurant opened 8+ years ago and no one has ever been disappointed. The food is fresh and grilled. It is off the beaten path and frequented by many natives in the Filter Square neighborhood. Friends from out of town love the atmosphere. The menu had remained the same for years, but recently changed. I wasn't happy with that, especially since they removed the tarama salata and started charging for the rice and char sides, but I guess that change is inevitable. Just took some out of towners from Houston there for dinner last week and they loved it. Great to see that some of the old staff is still there. Even with all the new, trendy places to choose from in Phila, this is still a real find and good value.