“Best brunch in Philly!!”
Review of Carman's Country Kitchen - CLOSED

Carman's Country Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Berlin, Germany
“Best brunch in Philly!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

A warm welcome from Alexis. Extensive and creative menu of specials. And Carman cooking up a storm! Well worth a visit to this traditional, unspoilt cafe diner.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A unique brunch spot”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I visit Carman's about once a month. I love taking out-of-town visitors to experience Carman's for brunch. Carman herself is part of the draw: she's a lot of fun! There's plenty to look at and explore while you wait for your food. The staff is very friendly and love to chat. If it's nice outside, opt for eating in the pick-up truck! You can't go wrong with any of her four offerings of the day.

• Visited July 2011
Durham, North Carolina
“Outdoor seating in the back of a pickup truck?!”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This is a funky place that I was excited to visit. Unfortunately it didn't meet my expectation.

It's funky enough alright, with limited seating inside and outdoor seating in the back of a pick up truck (never saw that before!). I didn't care for the fact that there were two large dogs (Chows) in the front seat of the truck barking at us when we first get on the truck bed. It was also a bit concerning to have traffic whizzing by with the truck parked right at the intersection, not to mention the stench coming out of the nearby sewer while we were eating.

The food was so-so, overpriced and choices were limited. Coffee was very good and our waiter couldn't have been nicer or more attentive and kind. He was probably the highlight of it all.

What can I say, I experienced it, but I probably wouldn't return. BTW, leave the kids at home. The inside is decorated with bedroom toys (see my picture).

• Visited June 2011
Toronto, Canada
“Lots of food and lots of laughs”
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I stopped in here for brunch after running a half-marathon and it was the perfect amount of food to re-energize me. Possibly it would have been an excessively large portion to anyone who hadn't been up since 7AM, running in the freezing cold. The restaurant is small, and only open until 2, so reservations are recommended if you're dining with a group. Carman prepares four meal options for the day, which were creative takes on brunch options. I had a kale, sweet corn, and gouda omelet, which was pretty yummy. There was also stuffed french toast on the menu and some unusual pancakes, both of which my friends seemed happy with. HUGE PORTIONS served with GALLONS of coffee. I had to be rolled out of there.

The restaurant is a kitschy take on a traditional luncheonette. Lots of funny signs and country napkins and curtains. Carman has collected a number of...um, let's say ... anatomical knick-knacks that sit around the restaurant, peaking out from shelves and corners. It's fun to play spot... the anatomy.

The waiters were friendly and Carman came out for a chat. It was definitely worth the trip and the money!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Quaint and quirky. Be prepared to be cramped, but you'll leave full.”
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Quaint and quirky. Be prepared to be cramped, but you'll leave full.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook