“straightforward decent sushi place, but nothing special”
Review of Kisso Sushi Bar

Kisso Sushi Bar
Ranked #699 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City Center East
Jersey City, New Jersey
“straightforward decent sushi place, but nothing special”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Visiting Phila. and staying in nearby hotel and was craving sushi. Didn't want to haul kids to trendy nightlife spot so went here due to many glowing web reviews. Food was good but not the best you'll ever get. The shumai tasted like packaged frozen, and the shrimp tempura roll quite frankly tasted heavy and greasy like a Gorton's fish stick, tempura should be light and crispy. I thought prices were a bit on high side ($5.50 for an avocado roll for kids) but that is understandable since very convenient location for tourist/old city area. Service was earnest but a bit slow and disorganized. They had great little chopsticks adapters so kids could use. Some parts of order were forgotten (no big deal) but plates came out without wasabi or ginger or both. Atmosphere is cozy and unpretentious with mellow jazz music playing at a proper volume. Being from out of town I can't compare to other options, but if you're looking for an unassuming sushi bar (there's no hot entrees) in old city area this is the ticket, we just expected to be wowed a bit more from other glowing reviews. Remember BYOB.

• Visited February 2012

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely Delicious”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I ordered the Sashimi Platter and the Mix & Match. The Sashimi platter was a new one for me, but there was more on the plate than I expected. When I took my first bite, I was in heaven. It was soooo delicious I had to stop my eyes from rolling back. The Mix & Match was something I always ordered so i knew what to expect. It was consistently delicious as always . I have been to many sushi places and this one is my absolute favorite. It is a small atmosphere which is fine by me. The bathroom is down the steps in the basement area which is probably inconvenient to some, but i can't see them putting it anywhere else for being such a tiny place. Aside from it's small atmosphere, it packs a huge punch.

• Visited January 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The best sushi in tri state area”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Kisso is my favorite Janapese restaurant in Philadelphia! Fish is always fresh, rice is cooked to perfection. It is a small cozy Old city BYOB restaurant. I love to go there with my friends!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Yulia19
Nm_roadrunner
“Decent sushi for a good price.”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Good, quality sushi. Not the best I've ever had, but not the worst. I would go back. I had a sushi combo, which was pretty good.

• Visited September 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Locals secret”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This place doesn't have any recent and so few reviews because it's more of a locals spot. It's a couple blocks away from most of the other restaurants and old city tourist areas. You will not find a better combination of quality & price. BYOB and good service add to an already great meal. Ate here for prob the 100th time last night and wanted to make sure they are getting the recognition they deserve. So if you need a break from cheese steaks definitely go to Kisso.

• Visited August 2011