“Interesting flavors with a warm welcome”
Review of Fork

Fork
Reserve with OpenTable
Fork is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #97 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 3rd
Transit: Septa Bus Lines 42 & 17, 3rd Street Septa Regional Rail, Market East Station Market-Frankford El, 2nd Street
Southwest Florida
“Interesting flavors with a warm welcome”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I am not a foodie. Grill me a piece of fish, throw some papaya salsa and dirty rice with it and I'm happy so fork might have been a little lost on me when friends suggested it on a rainy night. Close to the subway at 2nd and market, it is a smallish, open kitchen welcoming place. A little cramped but for a nasty weekday night it was surprisingly busy. I now know why. The food is great. Innovative with fresh flavors and surprises. I had the root salad to start with veggies roasted but with a bite, the tuna and veal carpaccio that one of had- spectacular as was the soups. Entrees came next, again well thought out and really interesting- Branzino fish, pork, lamb and a seafood pasta. Thankfully they do have small and large plates for most things - I erred, thinking I wouldn't like my entree so order a small. Mistake. It was so good, I wanted more! The only disappointment was dessert. Great description, but not nearly up to the standard of the rest of the meal. They have a set menu if you'd like. When we go again, and we will, I'll try that as it gives starter, entree and table shared pasta with dessert.there is also, on request, a chef's pairing. This isn't an inexpensive place and some may grouse at the value at $65 a head, but iris about quality and flavor versus anything else. Those starving and want to feed can probably head elsewhere.

• Korean first
NJ
“Impeccable service with excellent food.”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Recently dined at Fork for lunch at the recommendation of a friend. Had been here before but nit in a few years. Why did I wait so long?

My friends and I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant. The service is spot on- attentive without being intrusive. Staff is well versed in the wines and each item on the menu. The chef was there and warmly greeted us at out table. The manager (I assume) seated us at a nice table and overhearing it was my birthday, sent over a glass of champagne! The restaurant will send you a postcard around your birthday with this offer. How cool is that?

Don't miss this gem on Market St. You will enjoy a wonderful meal.

Dallas, Texas
“Terrific Food and Service.”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Although I travel to Philadelphia often for business, we usually stay and eat in Center City. If you stay in Old City and love good quality food at a reasonable price, you MUST try Fork. There's a reason it has been around so long. Everything was delicious and the restaurant is impeccably operated. I love skate and very few places serve it because it is difficult to filet. They have it here. I also recommend the veal appetizer. Good cocktails also. A winner all the way around.

• Visited March 2013
New York
“Elegant and Unique”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wonderful and unusual fare, albeit portions are small. The restaurant is beautiful and the servers are efficiient and well-informed.

Visited March 2013
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Imaginative and delicious”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

One of us dined recently at Fork. I had dined there in the past, but they have a new chef, Eli Kulp, since Fall 2012. What was a terrific restaurant in the past has achieved a new level of excellence and imagination. The food was spectacular and, in one of the aspects of fine dining that I truly appreciate, consisted of unexpected combinations. I started with the mixed kale salad, which had so many blended flavors and textures. I do not consider myself a fan of kale, but followed the recommendation of our excellent server and am very glad I did. My main was the branzino "en croute," which was a completely unfamiliar preparation to me for a fish that is usually solidly enjoyable but usually unexciting. This was absolutely wonderful. The accompanying artichoke pieces were among the most delicious sides I had ever tasted. The meal was enjoyed with excellent and passionate service, and superb wine.

Fork is one of those special dining experiences that truly leaves you feeling good and smiling. And also appreciating that, if you think you can really cook, consider again and don't give up your day job. An imaginative chef such as Chef Kulp will amaze and humble you.

• Visited March 2013