“A Neighborhood Feel”
Review of Bistro La Baia

Bistro La Baia
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro La Baia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,230 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed February 19, 2012

My husband and I went for an early Valentine's dinner. It seemed like everyone there was from the local neighborhood...every one seemed to know everyone. We are from the suburbs, but felt right at home here. If we lived in the neighborhood, we would be there quite often! Food was plentiful and delicious..our eggplant appetizer was one of the best dishes I think i have ever eaten! Service was perfect...not too fast and not too slow with great recommendations.
We love BYOBs!
Reasonable. Cash only.

1  Thank CosmoLady

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I always have a great meal here; my sister and I took our 87 year old mom, and the staff was very accomodating and thoughtful. The food is always delicious, and the meal starts with delicious warm bread. The salad portions are very generous, so we always share to leave room for the main course. This isn't a gourmet dining experience, but an out of the way neighborhood restaurant with absolutely delicious food!

Reviewed July 7, 2011

I never write reviews, but I saw that there rankings did not reflect how wonderful this little place is. First off, its VERY affordable. Second, it's charming as heck. Lastly, the food is simple and good. We really love it, and consider it a treat. I love the folks that work here to. It feels like family.

1  Thank phillylaura_10
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My husband and I had a very different experience than the two most recent reviews. We are from New York City and found this restaurant under BYOB in a visitors guide in our hotel room. We had a pleasant experience over the phone when making our reservation. We had dinner at 6pm on a Friday night and the place was very empty, so we didn't even need a reservation. We are both Italian and found the food to be extremely authentic with very good sized portions.; we were too full to have desert. Yes, there is a corking fee if you bring a bottle of wine of $2; this is nothing in comparison to the corking fees in NYC of $30 to $35 sometimes. Maybe the other reviewers went at crowded times which explains the service; however our experience was great and we had plenty of time to get to an 8pm show down the street at the Verizon Center.

Reviewed January 19, 2009

I advise anyone to stay away from this place, unless you enjoy being insulted/yelled at by the restaurant owners.

Service was rude from the minute we walked in. We were meeting friends who had been holding a table for us. Granted we were running a bit late, but there was NO ONE else waiting so we really didn't think it was necessary to treat us like criminals.

The restaurant is so crowded that one has hardly room to breathe. When the lady who would later serve us (presumably one of the restaurant owners) was standing by the door, my friend could not get up to go to the bathroom. I asked her politely if she could move to the side so my friend could go use the restroom, she told me in a very rude voice to "just wait" (not sure what she was doing...).

We were also told that we would have to vacate the table in 45 min (although it turned out no one had reserved our table)

We were later joined by two other friends who did not eat an entree (but four of us ordered appetizer, entree, dessert and coffee, spending over $30 per person), but at no point in the process did they have to make ANYONE wait on a table or turn anyone away because we were "taking up" their precious seats. I suppose this was still enough reason for them to categorize us as customers who came to take advantage of their restaurant. Our candle at the table was never lit, and every one of our dishes was served with a good dose of contempt.

When the bill came, we were quite surprised to find corking charges and roughly 20% gratuity added to our bill (neither was mentioned anywhere on the menu or by our server). When we politely inquired about these charges, we were yelled at by the restaurant owner (presumably husband of afore-mentioned lady) that he had been in the restaurant business for over 20 years and that we were not in a position to tell him what to do.

Food was decent but by far did not offset even a fraction of the terrible experience.

2  Thank XC2009