“Average food, below average atmosphere” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Melograno

Melograno
Reserve with OpenTable
Melograno is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #413 of 4,318 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City Center West
Lumberton, New Jersey
“Average food, below average atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'm stretching a little to give this place an average review. It's really below average if you compare it to many of the great restaurants in Philly. My wife returned her soup because it was bland. My app was good, the Calamari Inximimo, but my daughter's salad was also bland. My Salmon entree didn't have even a hint of the citris smoke claimed on the menu and the puree it rested on was bland. My wife's scallop entree came with 3 scallops and two fatty pieces of pork belly that were too tough to cut. The atmosphere seems cold and univiting but the service was great. All in all not a great experience. I would not return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IluvSIC

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“We're food snobs, food was above average, service was great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I just finished dinner at Melograno. We've never been there before and had no problem getting a reservation on Friday night, booked online at urbanspoon.com. We arrived 15 minutes early and were seated right away. Our waiter, Nick was really friendly and charming. 5 stars for Nick! (Plus he looks like actor Andy Garcia) Now for the food, we each had 4 courses, so this review will be thorough! For apps, I had the chickpea and shrimp soup. My husband had the tuna tartare (it was the special). My soup was decent, with fresh steamed shrimp perfectly cooked but lacked flavor. My husband said the tuna tartare was above average. For first course, I had the wild boar ragu. I selected this course because so many reviewerers raved about it. Honestly, it was a disappointment. The sauce was a bit thick with not enough boar. However, it was a large portion and I gave half to my husband. My husband had the fennel and shrimp risotto, which he said was very good. For the second course, I had the duck with a chocolate cherry reduction sauce and polenta. (it was the special) Sounded great...but average at best. Polenta was very bland. Duck was just OK, my husband agreed it was good - not great. Husband had the baked salmon with celery root puree. I tried his salmon and was envious. The celery root puree was divine and the salmon was cooked perfectly! For dessert, we split the molten chocolate cake with gelato. Yummy! Overall - food was slightly above average, service was great - so 4 stars from us. FYI - Our bill was $144 for 2 people (not including tip). Parking lot is a few steps away and cost $22 on weekends.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kiffkat
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Ok, but nothing more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Read a lot of enthusiastic reviews, and I'm just not buying. The meal was average, at best, probably only saved by decent appetizer and good dessert. Overcooked pasta w underseasoned ragu, and uninspired chicken. Maybe they were actually good once, but it seems the moment has passed.

Visited December 2012
NY
“BYOB, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

It is a rather noisy restaurant but food was fresh and excellent.
Wait staff was a bit brusk but efficient. Since there where 4 of us it was nice to save a few dollars by bringing our own wine.

Visited October 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Don't disagree with the Chef!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Took hubby and our adult daughters and significant others here for his 60th birthday.

Four ordered the filet mignon. Two ordered medium rare, one wanted medium and one wanted medium well (I know, I know, but to each their own). Waitress comes out to tell us that the chef will not do the medium and medium well; he will only cook filet's rare or medium rare! The hostess intervened and spoke with him and he compromised (really??!!) to cook them medium (with the caution to not send them back if they were not liked!).

What a way to ruin an evening that was supposed to be special. To add insult to injury there was absolutely no acknowledgement of the his birthday.

This will be our last visit to Melograno's.. there are a lot more (and just as good) customer friendly Italian restaurants in Philadelphia.

• Visited August 2012