“Authentic, delicious Meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stumbled on this lovely spot by accident and were pleasantly surprised. It's a small spot with exceptional dishes. The tuna was prepared to perfection with a delicious, but light sauce. And the veal my son ordered was equally delicious. Although this was a meal with my son, I recommend it as a quiet romantic spot as well.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

La Viola is small, has great daily specials and is BYOB for no fee.
They were so good they ran out of space and started another restaurant right across the street. There is now La Viola East and La Viola West. Look on their daily menu on each place (they can be different) and decide which one you want. The specials might not be posted. Truly these are 2 of Philly's finest small restaurants.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Quaint spot that is BYOB. The food is good/ above average -it is loud because its tiny!
Waiters are all Italian and the hostess is authentically rude just like in Italy. Would definitely return. Great service - the hostess, notwithstanding. Actually her talking on the phone while she sat customers was impressive.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Tonight my husband, 2 friends and I drove to Philadelphia to have dinner with my daughter. We had a 9 PM reservation at La Viola. We arrived promptly at 9 PM to a hallway filled with people waiting for their 8:30 reservation. We quickly checked in and was told it would be 5 minutes until we would be seated and joined the crowd in the hallway--- many who were irritated and hungry.
They looked at us with pity as we told them we were told we would be seated in 5 minutes. Two groups of people told us they were told the exact same thing 35 minutes ago and they were still waiting. We continued to wait another 20 minutes-- none of us crammed in the hallway got seated and my daughter started to call other restaurants. We eventually got one in the area and left La Viola @ 9:20 PM. The 8:30 PM reservations were still anxiously waiting. I could understand if the receptionist told us they were over booked or people were staying at their tables longer than they expected but I really felt telling everyone it's 5 minutes when they had NO idea how long it would be was rude and inconsiderate. It seemed to me a reservation meant nothing at all at this restaurant. I will not try them again

1  Thank JoyceJ52
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Made reservations for 10 colleagues from all over the US and myself for a business dinner at one of the few places we could find at short notice. Not knowing what to expect other than Italian food, we were surprised to find that the restaurant was offering an extensive restaurant week four course menu for $35! Although the restaurant was completely booked, we were seated immediately upon arrival. Service was impeccable and delivered with humor and charm. Each course offered several interesting choices making it hard to decide on one. I ordered an argula salad to start, followed by mussels in red sauce, roasted salmon for an entree, and tiramisu for dessert -- all wonderful. My colleagues enjoyed choices that ranged from the fish of the day (skate) to rib-eye steak, veal and a variety of pasta dishes. Portions were more than ample, making it a challenge to finish dessert. The restaurant is BYOB and cash only -- we were notified when we called so we came prepared. I hope to return.