“Noisy, but great food.”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were here in June 2013, and had a great meal. I'm sorry to say I don't remember exactly what we had; but I do remember it was really good! I struggled with a 3 or 4 rating only because we had just arrived in Philly at dinner time, and checked into our accommodations, and were tired. Our placed suggested a pub right down the block which was filled to the brim and incredibly loud; so we walked on discovering La Viola just across the street by a few buildings. We went to the Bistro; we didn't even notice the other location right across the street until the next day. When we arrived, we were to learn of the practice in Philly that we had no idea about - so be forewarned! - many places are cash only and BYOB. We were too tired to go back out, and it was late, to hunt up a liquor store, and were we glad we had cash on us (not commonly done these days in the US). The only issue was that there was upwards of 22 people in the middle of the Bistro celebrating something - and they had no consideration for the other 1/2 dozen tables in the place - nor did the management ask them to quiet down either. We thought about leaving for a few minutes while looking at the menu, and realized that they were on dessert; so we held out. We were glad we did - as by the time our main dish came, they had left and the place was quiet. And, the other moment was that they forgot our appetizer until we asked for it after waiting with our water for some time -- they didn't really have enough staff to keep up with that huge party and the rest of us. But, after all that, go for the delicious food and good waitstaff - just check that the parties already seated don't number over a usual amount!!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I, along with our best friends had an early dinner here before going to a concert at the Academy of Music. We were the first ones in the restaurant. Staff was very polite and many had Italian accents (which I liked). Was optimistic about the food.

Having traveled to Italy a few times and having grown up on wonderful Italian home cooking, was hoping for the "real deal". Can't say I found it here. My non-Italian husband and non-Italian friends loved it. I found the veal and crab bland and ordinary. I tasted my husband's homemade fusilli, which he loved, but found it a little doughy and also pretty ordinary.

It's a cute place, very clean and pleasant. Service was very good. It's a BYOB, always a plus. But can't say, it's a place I would tell others they have to try. If you go, you will no doubt have a decent meal and good service... but not as flavorful or authentic as I would have hoped.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

This place was a favorite when I used to live in Philly, and I've been wanting to bring my wife here for years. We finally came back to Philly for our anniversary and it was just as good as I remembered. The grilled calamari is epic. Service was great, and the homemade pasta is extraordinary. I had the lobster ravioli - just amazing. Make sure you bring cash (they don't take credit) and a good bottle of wine or two, and you'll have a perfect dinner.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This family operated Italian restaurant gets top marks for authentic, freshly prepared dishes, and friendly service. I think everyone that I interacted with at the restaurant was one of the family members, hostess, waiter, bus boy....all of them. You can tell they take pride in their restaurant and want you to have a great dining experience. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

have been to this restaurant four times, and it has been close to the prize for the noisiest restaurant in Philly. This time they seated us between two large graduation parties, and we asked to be moved outside. On busy 16th ST. (a bus route) we enjoyed our excellent meal in relative peace.