“Needs Work”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Monk's is a nice enough place - but I feel like they're only putting in a 75% effort. They could be great if they focused on improving their service.

Food: Decent. I started out with the leek tart, which had some dirt/sand in it. Common for leeks, but completely avoidable. I asked the server for a recommendation on my main course - he gave an unexplained and unemotional choice (which made it seem like it was random). The salmon he recommended was a bit overcooked and bland. Presentation was mediocre at best.

Service: Not friendly. Marginally attentive. Reasonably efficient, though.

Drinks: They've got an extensive beer menu, which needs work. Beers aren't explained well and the information they include is inconsistent (like alcohol content). Poorly organized.

Fix your (beer) menu and service - and maybe do some training in the kitchen - and you'll be top notch. Right now, you're not worth the high prices you're charging.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The restaurant was aliitle dark,but the beer selection was outstanding.It takes probaly a 1/2 hour just to read beer menu. The mussels were excellent,so many different sauces to pick from. My husband and I had the small bowl which was huge,we than split a burger also very good. the fries were to die for!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I liked Monk's, but my family did not. It's a pub-like place, which I love. The beer was great & I had a decent meal, but my son's burger was 1/2 the size of the bun--not great. And don't go if you're in a hurry. It seemed that there was one waitress for the whole back room, which I didn't mind because we didn't feel rushed. Next time I'll just go there for the beer.

Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal complete with awesome brew here. I got the vegan Philly cheesesteak sans cheese and loved it!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We just had supper at Monk's Cafe. The bar/restaurant is busy and the staff generally attentive. The beer 'bible' outlines an impressive list of brews, and the on-tap beer choices were excellent. I tried the Bacchus sour beer -refreshing and clean. We both had burgers - generally good. The rolls were larger than necessary and a tad dry, but the burger and toppings were zippy and tasty. The fries come with a mayo/aioli that I could have eaten with a spoon!