“Really good food. Cool place.”
Review of Monk's Cafe

Monk's Cafe
Ranked #76 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had really good food here. I like the ambiance, it's pretty cool. Very pub-like. I got a portabello sandwich and mussels and they were both delicious. The service wasn't anything to ride home about, but it didn't negatively impact the experience.

Thank J. C

Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived and it was crowded which was no big deal. We waited by the bar and tried to get the attention of the bartender, who ignored us for 15 minutes. The patrons around us were nicer than the staff. I understand that there were a lot of people there, but it was pretty weird to be ignored like we would just go away. We ordered food, and when my buddy got his burger, it had a long dark hair in it. I mean cooked into it. He was grossed out, and wouldn't eat the rest of his food. That kinda ruined the experience. I know this is the Mecca for the Belgian beer lovers, but I won't come here again. I wasn't impressed.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Do you like beer? I'm not talking Budwiser or Miller Light. If you like all manner of real beers in a classic Belgian style cafe, then you must make a stop at Monk's Cafe. Steamed mussels and pommes frite are fabulous. Salads, sandwiches and the main event - beers both on tap and in bottles from the beer capitals of the world - Belgium, England, Germany, and even the good old US of A.

A final tip.... if they have Lindemann's Framboise Lambic on tap you must try it. It's a religious experience!

1  Thank diva614
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The atmosphere is clubby and pubby with dark woods and a cool back bar manned by a bartender who introduced us to an unusual beer that had a scotch-like finish and went exceptionally well with our charcuterie that was dominated by delcious sausages and sauces, It was heavier than your typical french cold-cut charcuterie...maybe a Belgian thing. To finish off the bartender introduced us to the Scotch that apparently inspired the beer. "Expensive", he warned us in advance. But even with that extravagance the tab only came to about $100 for two satisfying meals. The menu is eclectic with frogs legs, more typical sandwiches, steak, fries, salads etc. The vegetables are delicious. I see from some reviews that there is even a great vegetarian cheesesteak. Knowledgable and friendly service, great bars, allegedly the largest variety of beers in Philly, fun atmosphere, a variety of interesting and creative food and a relatively good value besides...what else can you want? OK if you want expensive-elegant instead of cafe-continental, you can go to the great restuarant at the Ritz. Otherwise land at Monk's.You won't be disappointed. I also see that it can get crowded. We ate there fairly early on a weekend evening and had no problem with hoardes of people, but maybe we were there just a little before the rush or folks had abandoned the city to go "down the shore".

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Interesting menu here inc. frogs legs - unusual for bar food! Great wine list and beers available for those who like something a bit different. Intimate atmosphere and two bar and dining areas available. Good service.