“A surprising beer goes with charcuterie”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Monk's Cafe

Monk's Cafe
Ranked #66 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Belgian, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City Center West
Pittsburgh, PA
“A surprising beer goes with charcuterie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had an oak aged pale ale which was fantastic. It almost tasted like a wine (ok, I reveal my basic preference here). For food, I had the charcuterie started, a small bowl of muscles (a ala ghent) and of course the frites. All very good.

• Visited February 2013

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
“Great Beers & Mussels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is THE place to go in Philly if you like Belgian beers and / or mussels. I've never had better mussels and I have friends who come in from NY and LA and this is where they want to go. The staff is very knowledgeable, though sometimes a bit curt. It's dark and very rustic.

Visited January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Mussels, Burgers and Fries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very cool place, especially if you like Belgian beer. I could do without the beer, but the mussels and burgers are very good. Plus, they serve these annoyingly small broken pieces of french fries that you just cannot stop eating. I really like this place.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“We went back a second time the next day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stopped here one day for lunch. I got La Petit Dejeuner Mussels w/fries ($10) and my fiance got the Veal Cheeks with Polenta appetizer (which is really big and hearty enough for a full meal). Our total bill was a little over $20 and we were very impressed with the quality and quantity of the food for the price. Beyond that, the wait staff helped us by calling a few other restaurants and finding out what times they would be open in the evening for dinner! We went back the next day and ordered two meals -- Duck Confit and Mac-N-Cheese. Both were very good, but more expensive. Our bill was nearly $40 the second time. We will likely go back because we had a good experience both times, but I think I will just stick with the sandwiches and mussels next time.

Visited February 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Just went for drinks...great place if you love beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Unique restaurant in Philly that is great if you are into different kinds of beer. There are many from Germany and Belgium. The staff was very helpful in trying the beer to know which we really like.

• Visited January 2013