“Great Beers & Mussels”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is THE place to go in Philly if you like Belgian beers and / or mussels. I've never had better mussels and I have friends who come in from NY and LA and this is where they want to go. The staff is very knowledgeable, though sometimes a bit curt. It's dark and very rustic.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very cool place, especially if you like Belgian beer. I could do without the beer, but the mussels and burgers are very good. Plus, they serve these annoyingly small broken pieces of french fries that you just cannot stop eating. I really like this place.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stopped here one day for lunch. I got La Petit Dejeuner Mussels w/fries ($10) and my fiance got the Veal Cheeks with Polenta appetizer (which is really big and hearty enough for a full meal). Our total bill was a little over $20 and we were very impressed with the quality and quantity of the food for the price. Beyond that, the wait staff helped us by calling a few other restaurants and finding out what times they would be open in the evening for dinner! We went back the next day and ordered two meals -- Duck Confit and Mac-N-Cheese. Both were very good, but more expensive. Our bill was nearly $40 the second time. We will likely go back because we had a good experience both times, but I think I will just stick with the sandwiches and mussels next time.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Unique restaurant in Philly that is great if you are into different kinds of beer. There are many from Germany and Belgium. The staff was very helpful in trying the beer to know which we really like.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Several years back, when I worked in Center City Philadelphia, Monk's was one of my regular lunch places. In the city to meet friends recently, I steered them to Monk's for a Memory Lane experience. The place was not as great as I remembered.
My first clue was that Monk's was surprisingly uncrowded at the height of the lunch hour. When I used to go there, I had to arrive before noon to get a seat. On this recent visit, my friends and I were alone in the front (bar) eating area, and the back dining room was little more than half-filled.
The attraction here is the enormous beer menu, draft and bottle. I had a tasty Belgian ale, but at $8 for a small glass, I didn't come back for seconds. Our food was about average -- we just had burgers and sandwiches. My chicken sausage sandwich was good but, like the beer, small for the price. The house fries are still really good.
The place is cozy and welcoming. Service is efficient. The after-lunch coffee was very good indeed.
Overall, a so-so experience. Nothing memorable, but nothing to complain about, either. If you're a beer guru (preferably with a full wallet), this place will make you very happy. But the food is nothing to rave about.