“Beer afficionada's Mecca”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Several years back, when I worked in Center City Philadelphia, Monk's was one of my regular lunch places. In the city to meet friends recently, I steered them to Monk's for a Memory Lane experience. The place was not as great as I remembered.
My first clue was that Monk's was surprisingly uncrowded at the height of the lunch hour. When I used to go there, I had to arrive before noon to get a seat. On this recent visit, my friends and I were alone in the front (bar) eating area, and the back dining room was little more than half-filled.
The attraction here is the enormous beer menu, draft and bottle. I had a tasty Belgian ale, but at $8 for a small glass, I didn't come back for seconds. Our food was about average -- we just had burgers and sandwiches. My chicken sausage sandwich was good but, like the beer, small for the price. The house fries are still really good.
The place is cozy and welcoming. Service is efficient. The after-lunch coffee was very good indeed.
Overall, a so-so experience. Nothing memorable, but nothing to complain about, either. If you're a beer guru (preferably with a full wallet), this place will make you very happy. But the food is nothing to rave about.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Really lovely bar. The interior is brilliant. It's (eventhough a Belgian themed place) like a Bavarian shack in the woods. Awesome.
The beer selection is great and they've got some tasty food on the menu as well. The staff are lovely and happy to make reccomendations. They also know the menus (beer and food) well.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place is a beer lover's paridise. They serve quite unique and in some cases rare beers at this location. What truly impressed me was the food. You would expect typical bar food but this restaurant's menu is far from typical. I loved everything I tried and from the look of the meals other diner's were having and their expressions; I believe that was the general consensus. I heard a young man say "I wish I could pick at everybody's plate" as he walked by. Parking in the area is terrible, the neighborhood reminds me of NY south of 14th except we're in Philly. But if you can manage to get a spot this restaurant is well worth it. At the end of my meal the waiter even took a few minutes to talk to me and ask where I'm from. A nice friendly touch that you normally don't get in larger cities.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you like beer especially Belgium beers this is an absolutely outstanding place to visit. That said the food has dropped off in the past few years. The pomme frites portions have gotten smaller along with everything else on the menu. Food is still good but not what it once was. Regardless, still worth a visit.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great place, great atmosphere, great beer selection, belgian beers, and frog legs hot wing style. The waiter was very kind and the place was busy. I likes the food and the beer was great.