“"We will make it up to you"”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Vetri

Vetri
Reserve with OpenTable
Vetri is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: SEPTA routes C, 27, and 32 stop at Broad and Spruce Streets. SEPTA route 23 stops at 12th and Spruce Streets. PATCO High Speed Line stops at Broad and Locust Streets as well as SEPTA's Broad Street Line. Regional Rail stations are located at Market East (11th and Market) and Suburban Station (16th and JFK).
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“"We will make it up to you"”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We made a reservation well in advance to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday on the actual date. About one hour before we planned to make the trip from central NJ to Philly we got a phone call from the restaurant that they had no power. We were extremely disappointed. The manager said to us they would get us a table for a different day and make it up to us. My husband was quite specific in saying they should really at least give us a free dinner. We decided to go another night. The meal was delicious but when we got the check it was for the full amount. That put a very bad taste in our mouths. My husband called the manager the next day and was told the owner didn't think it was worth anything. If that was the case we were owed a phone in advance to make our own decision. Our very special dinner was not so special.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank StephHorn

Torrington, Connecticut
“Outstanding Food”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and children recently had dinner at Vetri to celebrate my son's graduation from Med School. We were looking for an exceptional experience - and Vetri delivered! We were all far more than satisfied by our meal. The chef's tasting menu is the only option and we put ourselves in the hands of our server to select dishes for each of us. For our party of six, for each course (with the exception of desert which were all individual) we were given 3 different dishes so that we could share among the group. And we did. The consensus top choice were the sweetbreads with farro cream and rhubarb. Simply amazing. If I were pressed to find something to improve upon, it would probably be related to the pace of the meal. Four of our party selected the grand wine pairing and it seemed as though the wines were arriving a bit too quickly for us to be able to fully enjoy each individual wine. Even so, the meal took well in excess of two hours to complete. If we had selected a bottle or two (or even three) of wine, the pace would have been fine. The atmosphere was a bit on the noisy side as well, which made it difficult at times to clearly hear the food/wine descriptions from our server. But both of these issues were relatively minor.

This restaurant is far from inexpensive and so is best reserved for very special occasions. It is worth the money! Reservations are an absolute must and best made as far in advance as possible. (They are only accepted two months out.)

• Visited May 2013
Philadelphia
“On your Bucket List, but Perhaps not your Fave...”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Ok, so clearly I am out of the main stream in terms of my adoration of this fine establishment. In truth, I would give it 3.5 stars, but that is mostly due to my preference for dining styles. I have always been a fan of - the more flavors in life the better, and when you dine w/ friends at Vetri, you certainly get your share of variety in sharing tastes. So where's the beef as they used to say? And I don't mean in the hoofs and horns kind of way. I think my issue is with the Gatling gun approach to rolling through the courses. Although I wouldn't say we were 'rushed' per se it didn't feel at all leisurely or particularly elegant, although we were there for a good 2.5 hrs.

The flavors were indeed very good. Some were excellent, but most were just so so considering the level they should be in this league. The wait staff was extremely knowledgeable about the food and especially about the wines. But they seemed really rushed to drop the plates, explain the offerings and run away.

So after a $155 tasting fee, and $135 for the premium wines, I'm not feeling the sense of $360 per person value (after tip). And might I add the pours for the wines could not have been much more than 2 ounces, although some may have been 3 oz, but not a drop more. I have NOT looked up the prices for the bottles, but this seems awfully steep. If you are pouring 2.5 oz from a 750 ml bottle you are getting 10 pours per bottle. With 7 pours for 7 courses you are paying about $20.00 per glass at $135. Are each of these bottles valued at $200 or more?

So at the end of the day - glad we went to check this place off. But wouldn't pick it a second time around. I would however rush back to Osteria, another of Mark Vetri's establishments. Felt the service and food there were above par compared to Vetri.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank AmishSteve
New York City, New York
“A Truly Unique Experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was an incredible eating experience. First of all the service was tops, everyone was so professional, kind, and incredibly knowledgable! The food was unbelievable. Each course was so unique and special. Very memorable, great spot for foodies!

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My fiance and have been trying to get a reservation at Vetri for a Friday or Saturday night for about a year. We live in NYC and I always called within a couple of weeks when we wanted to go to Philly for a weekend and there was never a table available. Finally we caved into making a reservation for a Monday night and there was a lot of availability. I am so happy we went, we were treated with the best of service and the staff really goes out of their way to ensure you have an amazing experience.

The restaurant is on the small side with 10-12 tables inside a brownstone house. Very nice decor however it was very warm inside, a little too warm. We were welcomed by the hostess and brought to our table. We received prossecco, a starter dish with a few appetizers and the menu. Our server informed us the two of us would receive different a 8-9 course dinners, meaning the two of us would not receive the same dishes. I loved this idea so we would be able to try one another's food. She also explained if there was something on the menu we definitely wanted or didn't want we should inform her.

Plate after plate the food served to us was amazing in taste and presentation. Small portions but packed with flavor. By the end of the meal we were so stuffed we asked to take the dessert dishes home. We opted for one wine pairing and one beer pairing. This was a great choice so we were able to share them and learn a lot about different wines and beers.

Was it the best meal we ever had? We both said probably not - leaving the best meals we ever had to our mother's and grandmother's cooking. However, it 100% was the most elaborate and expensive meal we ever had! We did not regret our decision to go to Vetri even after we paid the $600 bill! It was worth it - you only live once. I would not go back, however I am thinking of sending my mom and my sister for an upcoming birthday. It was so amazing - I'd love for them to experience it! I definitely want to go to the chef's other two restaurants in Philly when we return.

• Visited April 2013