“Not your typical menu”
Review of Vetri

Vetri
Reserve with OpenTable
Vetri is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: SEPTA routes C, 27, and 32 stop at Broad and Spruce Streets. SEPTA route 23 stops at 12th and Spruce Streets. PATCO High Speed Line stops at Broad and Locust Streets as well as SEPTA's Broad Street Line. Regional Rail stations are located at Market East (11th and Market) and Suburban Station (16th and JFK).
langhorne, pa
“Not your typical menu”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Vetri's offers spectacular choices--not your everyday meal The service is excellent but not intrusive nor stuffy. Ask your server what he recommends.

1 Thank AMEinpa

Quarante, France
“A Foodie's Delight”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

First, let's get a couple of things straight. Vetri had one menu - a tasting menu at the fixed price of $155 per person. The wine pairings ran to an additional $90pp and up. There are two seatings - 6 PM and 9 PM. You get an amusee, six courses or so, and the occasional gift if they like you. You are asked if there is anything on the menu that you would particularly like to try or that you would really rather not be served, and that's that. Deal with it.

My wife (with whom I celebrated our 40th anniversary at Vetri last weekend) is the best non-professional cook that I know. And as a freelance restaurant reviewer in the region, I can affirm that she beats most of the pros as well. So when she said that our recent visit was on a par with her her first ever fine dining experience - at Antoine's in New Orleans over 50 years ago that set the standard for her - I have to respect that. She was in heaven. There' simply not enough space to fully describe her delight, but a few items deserve mention. The skate wing with shellfish beurre blanc was prepared perfectly and skate is a most tricky dish. Each pasta was a delight. The chestnut crema with taragna and egg was a dish that you simply can't find elsewhere. And the crust of apple tarte tatin was pure butter. I particularly like the roasted capreto with stone milled polenta. I'm a sucker for crispy goat.

At least in our case, our main server was a courteous and knowledgeable. We loved the fact that when a course was served, a couple of henchmen joined in to see that everyone received their plate at the same time. I get that wait service can be spotty. All that I can say is that ours excelled.

NOW HEAR THIS: You have to be a real foodie to get off on this kind of meal. It's not your typical appetizer, salad, entree, dessert. It's a rainbow of tastes and textures that are quirky and unique. You have to be willing to share forkfuls across the table. You can't worry about the cost. Don't expect a styrofoam box with leftovers. If you're a meat-and-potatoes person, if you think that Italian food has to be red, or if you are simply not interested in having your palate challenged, there are plenty of other places to eat.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank iracathey
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Just average”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I wasn't impressed. Food is noveau, very small portions and very high prices. Table servers are inexperienced and have little knowledge of the wines they try to sell. You have to ask for a glass of water and they do not offer refills.

Visited November 2012
Pennsylvania
“The best meal. Bar none.”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were extremely fortunate to walk into Vetri and be seated on a Friday night. The reservations are booked months out, and it's worth the wait. This is by far the most delicious meal we've had anywhere in the world. Each bite was a treat, and we left feeling like we'd just experienced something beyond words. Who knew Italian food could be so exceptional? Now we do.

Make your reservation now, save up (it's expensive) and enjoy.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank lwbean
phila
“Best Italian Food I have ever eaten anywhere”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Marc Vetri certainly has perfected preparing Italian food. I have never eaten a bad meal there. The service is also impeccable. My only criticism is that they recently changed their menu to a fixed price menu where you have to order 4 courses. For me it is too much food and, as a result, I haven't been back since this change occurred. I really wish you could still order food a la carte.

Visited July 2012