“Taste of South Philly”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Neighborhood: South Philadelphia
Neighborhood: South Philadelphia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My second visit didn't disappoint! Delicious from start to finish. For one that is half Italian, I'm picky about going out for Italian food. They start off bringing you cooked mushrooms with warm bread. The Italian bread is excellent and I typically skip the bread. We were a party of six and the portions are not only really good, but large enough for lunch the next day. We sampled everything from the pastas to veal. Only one complaint for the clams and spaghetti being a bit salty. Chocolate cake and cannolis that make you want to savor every last bite. I've been there both times on a Sunday afternoon and it was easy to find a place to park--right in front! George, the server, is always wonderful. Will definitely return.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We asked around for recommendations for Italian in Philadelphia. "You have to go to South Philly for the best Italian," everyone said. So we did. Criniti's was lovely (the building used to be a small neighborhood church) and the food was excellent. We were there early on a Saturday night in August, so it was not busy. The waiter was friendly and helpful. The portions were generous and we liked everything we ordered. (We actually took about half the food home with us.)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My last visit was on Sunday, July 7th after having seen Wicked(which was a GREAT show) at the Academy of Music. My sister and I had taken the subway after the show. Once you get off at the Oregon station it is only a few steps to the restaurant. We have been here many times after work when we don't feel like cooking. Every dish I have had here was good. Your meal comes with either soup or salad. I am not a big fan of their "gravy" but that is me. I don't like a lot on my macaroni. Besides their menu they always have specials. All of the servers we have ever had were professional. I felt that I had to write a review for this restaurant so that more people will check them out. If you are in the neighborhood after or before a sporting event, concert, movie make sure you check them out.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I've been coming here for several years. The food has always been excellent. We stopped in around 4:30pm today after seeing Wicked (it's a must see if you haven't). There was one other couple already eating. In the last couple of years it hasn't been crowded so we never have to wait to be seated which is great because we were hungry today. You have a choice of soup or salad with your entree; we went with salad given that it was 90+ degrees. It's true that it is iceberg lettuce but it's topped with onions, carrots and croutons. Choice of dressing is limited to vinegar, oil, or balsamic vinegar. They give you a basket of crusty delicious bread and a dish of mushrooms. I opted for the veal medallion special. It was heavenly. Thinly sliced veal with artichokes and red peppers in a white wine sauce. It also came with sun dried tomatoes which I can't stand so I ask George our server to remove them. George said he would ask the chef to give me more artichokes which I love. It comes with a side of pasta so I chose penne. One of the other reviewers said that the sauce (or as we South Philly Italians like to say "gravy") sits on top of the pasta. I love their sauce and I like a lot of sauce. To me served this way is perfect. My sister doesn't like a lot of sauce so she can easily spoon the sauce off the top to get to the white pasta. We ordered chocolate cake for dessert but took it home to eat. The frosting is a thick, dark chocolate and the inside had a layer of cake and chocolate mousse. Boy, was that good. Our server George was very pleasant and we were in/out in less than an hour even though we didn't rush. The Phillies game had just ended so a few people were coming in as we were leaving. We always get a "thank you for coming" and "have a nice evening" when we leave. You don't seem to get that from too many places anymore. Yet if you want me to keep coming back you better thank me for choosing your place. That's why I continue to come back here several times a year. Great food and friendly service. It's a great place to catch a meal before or after a game or concert. If you take the subway get off at Oregon Avenue station and it's literally less than a block to their front door. After you eat you can get back on the train and get off at the next stop - AT & T station. No parking hassles. By the way they also have take out and local delivery. We did take out a few times. They gave us really big portions plus extra bread so much that we had enough for lunch the next day.

2  Thank PhillyJaxs
Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you want authentic Southern Italian food in a pleasing environment, give Criniti a try! (BTW: It's 2611 S. Broad St - not 2601). A friend, who is of Italian heritage, and I had a wonderful dinner there. Homemade pasta, seafood, veal, chicken, and a host of other entrees, including several daily specials to choose from. The prices are very reasonable. The restaurant is located in what was a Presbyterian Church - small and modern. The only downer could be that they don't take reservations, although we didn't have a problem on a Friday night at 7 pm.

1  Thank GKWtraveler