“Excellent place to eat”
Review of Spasso

Spasso
Reserve with OpenTable
Spasso is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 4,522 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between Chestnut & Market Streets
Transit: Train And Bus Stops 2nd & Market Street 1 1/2 Blocks Away.
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We were very happy with the pasta and sauce. We make our own ravioli and pasta at home (gravy/sauce also) and never eat out Italian. Up until now could not find a decent sauce. Loved the food and atmosphere.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We just happened to come into this restaurant based on a recommendation from a friend. We went in for a late lunch and overall, it was fantastic. The restaurant itself is small and a little dark, but I'm sure that's part of the ambiance. It wasn't crowded at all when we were there, but I've heard it gets packed at night.

The roasted vegetables that came with the bread was fantastic. The wine list was the entire back of the menu, leaving many more wine than food choices. We ordered the mozzarella and fried calamari appetizers to start. Both were very good. The main dishes, however, were outstanding. Our group ordered the chicken parm, veal, some kind of spinach/mushroom ravioli, shrimp fettuccine and fettuccine alfredo. All were fantastic and the spinach ravioli was to die for. All of it was homemade pasta, so if you're used to thin pasta from a box, you will not like theirs. We all (Italians) thought it was delicious.

For dessert we ordered the profiterole, chocolate mousse cake and cheesecake for dessert. The cheesecake and the chocolate cake were good, the profiterole was not. It had ice cream in the middle and was covered in a bittersweet chocolate sauce that wasn't very good. We should have went for the traditional favorites, tiramisu and cannoli. We'll have to try those next time.

Overall, we thought the food was fabulous and would recommend Spasso to anyone.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We asked the desk at the Sheraton Society Hill for a dinner recommendation and they suggested Spasso. It was Monday night and no reservation was needed. We walked the short two and half blocks and were welcomed with a smile and were told we could sit anywhere we wished. The menu is filled with all sorts of traditional Italian dishes but both of us opted for the "special" : veal with spinach and shrimp served overa bed of pasta and topped with a delicious lemon butter sauce. We enjoyed the bruchetta and a glass of wine while our dinner was prepared. The veal/shrimp/spinach/pasta arrived before too long and it was FABULOUS!
Beautiful to see and even better to taste, we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Our only regret is that we didn't leave room for desert; maybe next time.
Great service, a comfortable atmosphere and terrific food. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We happened to just pop into this restaurant and we were pleasantly surprised. The food was delicious, I had the catch of the day which was a sea bass and my husband had pasta. The waitress was pleasant and whilst not full, the atmosphere was good.
The decor of the place could do with updating, it felt like an old person's restaurant.

Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I came here based on reviews but I must say that I really was not that impressed. I ordered a special which was papperdelle pasta ( not sure how to spell it but was thick noodle pasta) with pan seared scallops and crab meat and asparagus. the sauce was like a vodka sauce but didn't have much flavor. only 3 scallops on the plate and they were not hot. I had to push them under the pasta to get them warmed up. I don't like sending food back. $28 for this meal. no salad...just cold bread with bland roasted peppers. I don't think I would return. perhaps some other food choice would have been better. it's killing me to pay this check. shame....I hoped for much better.