“Impressive room, service and food”
Review of Buddakan

Buddakan
Reserve with OpenTable
Buddakan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 4,392 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 3rd & 4th on Chestnut
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Impressive room, service and food”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Our group dressed up for our visit, and we fit in with other fine looking couples. We were promptly seated and our waiter soon arrived with menus and drink menus. We were not far from the golden Buddha and we were not far from the noisy patrons celebrating at the foot of Buddha. We tried the special drinks and they were all very good. For food we started with the edamame dumplings which were subtle and went well with vodka. We shared the rock shrimp which were ok. For entrees we had the steak, the sea bass and the lamb chops, all cooked exactly as we ordered. The sea bass was cooked perfectly with a nice glaze. Lamb chops were med-rare as ordered, and don't forget to dip the chops in the basil cream sauce which was the perfect accompaniment. We had the black bean grilled lettuce which was very asian and tasted wonderful, going well with the chops. Tried the fried rice with lobster which was a waste of money. Tried the chocolate dessert which was sweet and undistinguished. Is there no restaurant in Philadelphia that wants to hire a pastry chef--this is a serious failing in this city.

• Visited August 2014

Cape May, New Jersey
“THE BEST”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

When visiting Philadelphia be sure to go to buddakan! The food is delicious, the drinks the best and the atmosphere is awesome. I have been there several times and I have enjoyed myself each and everytime. Highest recommendation for sure...

• Visited October 2013
Northern Virginia
“Great meal!”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is a very chic restaurant with wonderful Asian fusion food. My husband and I had a nice evening. The reviews here helped us decide what to order. We actually ended up not getting an entree but several items from the appetizers, dim sum and sides. We had the Asian cesaer salad with spicy cashews and wonton crisps (yum), the dim sum sampler of dumplings, the spicy shrimp bao buns - these are almost like little shrimp tacoes. We also had the crab sticky rice and curry calliflower (with more spicy cashews). This was a lot of food for two people but it was too hard to decide. The portions are generous and designed for sharing.

I liked our server. She was very upbeat and happy. The place has a very "cool" vibe to it - I was a little worried that I wasn't really cool enough to eat there, but she made us feel welcome and right at home. I appreciated that!

The decor is lovely - rich colors and dramatic lighting and fabrics. Some might find it loud, but my husband and I were able to talk without a problem.

It is not an inexpensive restaurant, but it is worth the price. Great for a special nigh out or occasion in my opinion. We would definitely return if we are in Philadelphia again.

• Visited August 2014
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Dare I say it?”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

I prefer this location to the one in NYC. Philly's location is beautiful and welcoming, but the focus is on the food. Everything we tried was spectacular. The dim sum was a great choice for a two-person appetizer. Those edamame dumplings have been a craving since my visit to the NYC location, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that all four dumpling varieties were equally wonderful. The presentation of the food is always clean and enticing, and the flavors are bold and memorable. The service was attentive without being overbearing. This is definitely a great place to share entrees. Make sure you place a reservation if you don't want to have a long wait. Lastly, try the chocolate bento box for dessert. It is a fantastic dessert experience for two!

Visited July 2014
Okotoks, Canada
“Interesting food and excellent service”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

An excellent place for Asian fusion. The food is well prepared and very tasty. We were a party of 5 so we chose a range of dishes and shared them. They were all first class. Our server was very attentive and extremely pleasant. A really good experience.

Visited August 2014