“Very average food”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed February 3, 2014

m by no means a restaurant critic but, in my opinion, the only thing going for Gnocchi is that its pretty cute and very reasonably priced. Although Antipasta Misto at $8 was an absolute waste of an appetizer as it only contained about three slices of some sort of an Italian meat and three "shavings" of cheese served over some greens.

The 5 of us walked in on a Friday night and were immediately. Gnocchi is a pretty small place so it should have risen a red flag right off the bat. The place was pretty adorable, finished with Italian murals on the walls and dim lighting.

Cozze Al Manicomto (mussels) were as promised pretty generous, however we had to send them back as they did not smell or taste good. Although, as explained by the waitress, this was not the restaurants fault, I beg the differ. If I'm the head chef and I order the "larger", as they explained, mussels that were really full of excrement which resulted in the foul smell and taste, I would NOT serve them. The waitress admitted that the mussels were sent back several times that night. Funny thing is, the mussels kept coming back in at least three other dishes that we ordered.

The Calamari was pretty light and delicious. The pasta however, proved to be nothing special. Although it was tasty, it was very average. The Parmesan Alfredo sauce in my Gnocchi Verde proved to be a little on the heavy side. I'm not being picky at this point but will still mention that Alla Saltimbocca was a little too salty for my taste, although im sure it was due to the prosciutto and it was probably supposed to be that way.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had eaten at Gnocchi's a few times and loved the food. When it came time to organize a baby shower for my daughter who lives in Philly, I solicited offerings from restaurants all over Philadelphia but found most of them impersonal and not interested in the personal feeling that I wanted for the shower and a good meal.
As soon as I left a message at Gnocchi, my call was returned by the wonderful Ashley. She seemed to know exactly what I wanted so that everyone who attended would have spectacular, delicious food and feel comfortable in the venue. She continued to make subtle changes to the menu as she got a feel for our needs.
The restaurant is decorated like all great small Italian restaurants in Little Italy in New York or Boston....the atmosphere is comfortable, white tiled floors, murals on the walls, marble-topped tables and you can view the kitchen as they are cooking your meal AND the food is superb...from the salad, to the portobello mushroom appetizer, penne in vodka sauce....the mains were veal or chicken---Francaisse, Marsala and parmigiana, salmon or flounder, pumpkin gnocchi....spectacular!
On the day of the shower, Ashley was always nearby to make sure that everyone was satisfied.
I cannot recommend more highly that you eat often at Gnocchi's....but, if you have a special occasion to celebrate, give Ashley a call....you won't be disappointed!!!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We went here last night with our family (all adults). There were 6 of us and this is not a big place but there is enough space between the tables so that you feel comfortable and not cramped. This is a BYO which always helps to keep the price down, especially with a larger group.
They have a fairly varied menu with a selection of appetizers, salads, pastas, fish and meat dishes. They also offer a prix fixe option which we all decided to do. You get to pick ANY of the main dishes (including the nightly specials) and they take care of the rest.
They brought a variety of appetizers for us to share including mussels (white AND red), chilled seafood salad, fried calamari, mozzarella and tomato (caprese), a green salad and a lovely plate of sliced portobello mushrooms sauteed in a balsamic sauce with melted cheese on top. That was followed by a pasta sampler place (each person received their own plate). There were 3 pastas; a seasonal pumpkin gnocchi with a maple cinnamon sauce, a pesto gnocchi in a cream sauce and a large spinach and ricotta ravioli in a wonderful pink sauce. All were very tasty and inventive. For our main courses, 3 of us had the Braciole (a special) 2 had the Stuffed Flounder (another special) and one had the Veal Saltimbocca. The Braciole was good but a bit too much garlic (person taste preference, of course). It was served over crispy polenta which was a bit burned. The Stuffed Flounder was very nice and fresh although one person thought it was over salted. The Veal was excellent.
Included in the prix fixe is dessert and coffee so we were treated to a huge plate of tiramisu interspersed with scoops of gelato. All this for only $35 per person. I should also mention that our server (Ashley) was very sweet and attentive. She was great with our 93 year old mom who can be a little picky. We will definitely be back. Important note: This is a Cash Only restaurant so be sure to hit the ATM before you arrive!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Been coming here for years! Great food, reasonable & friendly!! Also been coming the past couple yrs. on Christmas Eve for the Seven Fish menu- & as an Italian, have to say its pretty much close to perfection!

1  Thank Schellsphiladelphia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Came here for dinner on a saturday night. I have wanted to come here for years and am sorry I waited so long. It is a BYOB as well so that makes it even better.

Had the antipasti misto and it was good. It wasn't anything amazing but a nice appetizer for four to share before a meal. The bread is amazing too and apparently made fresh each day there.

Our waiter was great. She was friendly and helpful with the menu. They offer a pre-fixed menu which we did not do, however if you have a big group, this is probably the way to go. They also have great weekday specials as well. I had the pollo alla florintine. The other dishes were the tilapia special, risotto pescatore and pollo parmesian. All were very good. Note- most entree's come with a side of gnocchi. Also try the tiramisu and pistacio gelato. Both we amazing

The atmosphere is nice. There was an accordian player for a little bit during dinner which added to the experience (if you like that). I would recommend this place for really any type of evening for a date, family dinner or evening out with friends. We will definitely be coming back here.

1  Thank Laura H