“Randomly inconsistent taste of dishes”
Review of Figs

Figs
Ranked #807 of 4,429 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Although I see mostly positive reviews I didn't have that good of an experience at figs.
Our reservation was at 8....one hour and 20 minutes later and two bottle of wine drank right in the middle of the dinning room, practically at somebody else's table because it was too cold to wait outside we were finally sat. the entire time the restaurant is so smokey that my eyes are constantly tearing. I am not sure if it is always like that or this was some special exhaust problem circumstance.

the owner/ server is very pleasant, the food is...hmm not so much. I order you're typical caprese salad, my mistake because the tomatoes are not really in season but somehow i hope they still have the good ones..they do not.
but I am absolutely outraged when I see Alex's appetizer: pepper crusted sea scallops, which I imagine to be these beautiful large seared scallops, come out as 10 tiny little scallops in a pretty tasty sauce. Its not that the description was deceiving because it didn't say they would be diver scallops, but this was not what i expected either.

my dish of whole fish was pretty good, but its hard to mess up whole fish. The asparagus was very tasty.

overall, i was not impressed with this place. A friend of mine told me the food was NOT good, however i didn't believe her because of such abundance of positive reviews. well, judge for yourself i guess.

There are newer reviews for Figs

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have been going to Figs for years. It does not change. and for this restaurant, this is a positive. The first time I had their smoked salmon and hummus "pizza", I fell in love and have continued to go back to get it! I love their duck, and the angel hair pasta Greek style is the stuff of dreams. We find the service to always be friendly and efficient. It is a very small place and fills up rapidly, so I suggest making reservations. The only negative to Figs is the parking, which can be very hard to find. But, that being said, it's worth the effort. Don't forget to bring a good bottle of wine and enjoy the cozy atmosphere and great food.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

On Friday night when restaurants in Philly are busy it can be a challenge to find a table so booking is advised. Having not done this we liked the look of Figs and seeing a few empty tables walked in. A waiter appeared. Absolutely no smile or greeting. We ventured to ask if by any lucky chance there was a table for two. All he said was "no reservation? ". We declined and he then uttered 3 words only... "Then cash only" and with that turned his back and walked away. Needless to day we walked out. We will not return.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I had gone to Figs a little over two years ago and had always wanted to come back. As we were at various art museums later on a Saturday afternoon, we showed up at Figs at 5:00 p. m.

Once again we enjoyed the bean dip. This time, we tried the scallop appetizer. Scallops were moist and tender, and the light sauce was delicious. Then we went on to the steamed mussels. The sauce with the tomatoes was absolutely delicious. However, the mussels themselves were small and tough.

For our entree, we both decided to get the oven roasted swordfish. The piece of swordfish was rather small and thin and had been slightly overcooked. The vanilla rice was interesting. The sauteed spinach was absolutely delicious. Both of us thought the date barbecue sauce was too sweet, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Service was fine.

I decided to use the ladies' room. I noted as I walked up the stairs to the bathroom that some of the wood was no longer painted...as if they weren't being maintained. When I got to the ladies' room I was horrified to see a roach in the sink. The ladies' room is directly next to the kitchen.

Then the toiled had urine pooled on the back to the side of the seat. Since we were the first customers for the dinner service, obviously the bathroom not been cleaned after the lunch session. Finally, the toilet itself had black around the ring....it had not been scrubbed for some time.

So needless to say, we will never come back.

1  Thank GreenUnicorn
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are new to Philly and stopped by Figs for dinner last night. We stood at the door for some time before being seated by a young man who came out from behind the kitchen counter. He provided menus and poured water for us, then disappeared. We sat and waited, then waited some more, for a server to appear. After a few minutes we noticed a tall man in black, his back to us while he looked at something on the counter. We were growing hungrier. After about 5 minutes the man approached our table and without a word removed the 2 wine glasses from our place settings, then walked away. We didn't know the place was BYOB and were now quite confused. We sat and waited a couple more minutes, but no one appeared and so we got up and left. We felt quite unnerved!
Now that we've read recent Trip Advisor reviews, we will try again, bringing our own bottle and hoping for a more hospitable server.