“Some things great, others OK”

Ms. Tootsie's Restaurant Bar Lounge
Ranked #1,020 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ms. Tootise's is a place certainly worth visiting. I lived nearby and went for diner once every some weeks. The catfish and a few other of the soul food choices are very tasty and not often found so nicely done. The place itself has some fancy ambitions that compete some with the quality of the cuisine, but this South Street and there's a lot going on there, so inside as well as out I guess.

There are newer reviews for Ms. Tootsie's Restaurant Bar Lounge

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Let me first start out by saying i've eaten at some very high end and well known resturants from napa valley to New Orleans and this place is at least a top 5 place. if you like southern style cooking it's a must try. i had the catfish and my co-worker had the fried chicken. both were cook just right and seasoned exellent. the sweet tea was the best i've ever had, i'm highly allergic to apples so after a few sips i could tell there was apple in it so i had to stop drinking it (i almost just went ahead and dealt with an upset stomach all night bc it was so good).

their deserts were also really good. i had the lemon pound cake. i really wanted to try the sweet potato cheesecake, but sadly they were out. this place is almost worth a trip in Philly if you are in the area and craving some soul food.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was a happy ending to a wonderful weekend spent in Philly! While out on a morning stroll, we stumbled upon Ms. Tootsie's. We had heard about it, wanted to visit it and by luck we found it. After our walk, we got dressed and headed back over for 12p for lunch.

The food was A MAZ ING! We were offered the infamous iced tea. It was delicious. Mimosas were not on the menu, however, when we requested one our wonderful waiter Chris happily fulfilled our request. The shrimp and grits, smothered turkey chops, collard greens, black eyed peas, okra, corn and tomatoes and the corm muffins and strawberry butter were to die for! The portions were large so there was a lot of food left over but everything we ate tasted amazing.

The atmosphere was nice and the music playing in the background was simply perfect for a daytime date and/or relaxation in a public setting. Lastly, keeping true to the name, we received a tootsie roll pop with the bill! All my Philly visits will definitely include a stop to Ms. Tootsie's.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Substantial portions. The Ice-Tea is ridiculously good. Food was just like grandma and great grandma use to make.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

After viewing the TV show- The Best Thing I ever ate- Fried Chicken. I planned a trip to Ms. Tootsie’s Restaurant in PA. I went on a Thursday evening to avoid the weekend rush. When we arrived, we were told that the wait was 1 hour…but they would take our cell phone number and call us if a table become available sooner. About 30 mins later…we received the call and we had 15 mins to get back to the restaurant. When we arrived, we still had to wait. The dining room is very small. They have other rooms available, but they are not open during the week. The service was slow. We had to wait a while for our food (reason given was that they had a large party at the restaurant). After waiting a while for a waiter, Tiffany finally came over and asked if we been helped yet. Nope…so she took care of us. She was very nice, and she helped us make our menu selections since we were first timers.

Food:
The food was very good. I had the Southern Fried Chicken (breast and wing). My chicken was cooked to perfection and the skin was nice and crispy. The sides were small. I have the mac n cheese and the candy yams (we only received 2 and 1/2 slices). The corn bread was wonderful with the strawberry butter. My sister didn’t order a meal, instead she ordered two appetizers, chicken and waffles and the crab mac n cheese balls. She didn’t like the chicken and waffles, because they had green leafy lettuce on the bottom of the plate, and it was taking away from the taste of the waffles. She ended up sending this item back and replacing it with Ms. Tootsie Pop wings. I didn’t love them and they took forever to come. We ended up taking them to go. But, I did try one before we left the restaurant. Not worth the hype. But, the one thing I did love was the Crab Mac N’Cheese Balls. Yummy. It’s not like a Maryland crab cake…but it was a nice change off.

As mentioned before, service was slow, we had to get our Ms. Tootsie Pop wings to go, because most of the parking in the area has a 2 hour limit, and we had to get back to the car…we didn’t want any parking tickets. Parking authority doesn’t play in PA.

Overall, I enjoyed the food and would go back again. I just know that they are on Island time.