“Disappointed on this iconic brand”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

On a recent business trip to Philadelphia in early January I dined with business colleagues at Morimoto's in downtown Philadelphia. I have had dinner a Morimoto locations across the United States so I am very familiar with the brand and the quality.

All of us at the table ordered the highly recommended Kobe beef dish prepared at the table in very hot cooking pots.

The table side preparation was hurried and not impressive. The end result was a major disappointment. The " Kobe " beef was thickly cut, stringy and not tender. It reminded us of the lower quality cuts of beef served in some chain restaurants. It had the texture and taste of beef used in stews and pot roast. Beef that requires a lot of simmering to make it tender. I have enjoyed Kobe beef here in the USA and in Japan. There was no comparison. This was in my opinion not Kobe beef.

The restaurant was functioning at about twenty percent during what should have been a peak dining period.

We would not recommend or dine at Morimoto's in the future. This iconic brand really disappointed.

1  Thank dlane711

Reviewed January 20, 2014

If you're a foodie, looking for somewhere to splurge and indulge in serious fine cuisine you've got to go to Morimoto and do the Omakase! Omakase is a tasting menu that is created by the chefs especially for that night. If they are offering the highest level, which is $150pp for 7 courses, just GO FOR IT! It was our anniversary and they actually ended up sending us 9 courses. It's a once in a lifetime meal, and they use the most quality ingredients! It's really incredible, especially the red snapper carpaccio, tuna tare-tare, and the wagyu steak! Other items included steak tare-tare, oysters done 3 ways, lobster, and an assortment of hamachi. You are not only paying for great food, but also a wonderful dining experience. If you are a martini fan, get the Morimoto Martini, made with Sake and Japanese cucumber. It' delicious! It was a dinner I will always remember, and try to do again if I'm lucky!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

On a day when it was raining cats and dogs and on the way to NYC, we stopped in Philly for Morimoto. It was worth the 45 minutes we searched for the restsurant while Siri drove us in a circle! The food was just as fresh as could be. It was our luck to be the season for soft-shelled crab rolls, delicious! My one comment is that for drivers, a more prominent outdoor sign would be most welcome.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This is exactly what I would call this place - ambient restaurant. Although, this term is mostly used in music, but once you enter Morimoto it surrounds you and you get relaxed unwillingly. When you look at that place from outside, it doesn't impress you at all, because it's an the older Philadelphia city neighborhood, but once you enter it, you will feel the transformation right away. I love all Starr restaurants and I think that he did an amazing job overall, but Morimoto definitely stands out among them. The food there is great and I don't have to say much about it for people who love great Japanese cuisine. It's definitely upscale restaurant where you wouldn't go for every day meal, but to bring guests or celebrate birthdays it's a great place to impress people. What I love the most in Starr restaurants and especially in Morimoto is how they play with the colors. The booths are changing colors, but not rapidly and rather slow, so that it's not annoying to the guests and is actually kind of cool and unexpected. The staff is very welcoming and the service is up to the level that you would expect from this type of restaurant. I don't think there is anything else to say, but to praise it again and recommend it to anyone visiting the city or a local. You will enjoy no matter what and this is why it's one of the original first still functioning Starr restaurants opened in Philadelphia.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Wonderful service and appetizers - we had the rock shrimp, seared scallops, spicy king crab and 10 hour pork for our appetizers. Everything was wonderful. For my entrée I had ishi yaki bop, with Kobe Beef. The staff brings a 400 degree bowl and prepares the food at the table. However, my beef was chewy and stringy - not what I expected from Kobi Beef.