“Great drinks”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,484 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We went to the bar. Great cocktails, one with cilantro realy realy good. Then got hungry and ate there, green noodles and edamame. Very good. The service was also good. I would return anyday.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I have been to this restaurant several times and we always leave very satisfied. The prices are a bit high and portions small, but the food is incredible. The seafood is super fresh and the dishes are consistently excellent. If you go, get the hamachi and tuna pizza. I always get the chef's tasting and have never been disappointed. We have ordered several items off the menu and I can't say that there isn't anything that I wouldn't recommend.

The look and decor of the restaurant is modern. I personally like the look, but the tables are not able to be moved and have weird light fixtures on the tables - no further comment on these fixtures. Service is above average. I like that the servers are very knowledgable about the ingredients and what they are. Servers also do a good job recommending dishes.

Overall, we have always had a great times with friends on special occasions. I highly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for something new and fresh.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

To come here and dine is a gift. The environment is ultra modern like Kubrick modern..... 2001 Space Oddysey style. I had the Omakase on a Thursday evening and I'm still high from the classically modern presentations, weeks later.

That you dont know what's coming is part of the fun. And then your senses begin to come alive as the plate comes, the visuals excites your glands, your imagination conjures the flavors now developing in your mouth. Then you take a bite, your mind is tickled and toyed with: you savor the complexity.

I have had the Omakase 4 times now and I can say, Morimoto's dishes are simply zen, clean and palate tickling. Dining here almost fools you into thinking, "Is that all there is?" Then the flavors creep up on you-- that nowhere near have you experienced this development of flavor and trickery in a dish. Having just returned from Japan on a food excursion, I see the continuity of the country's love affair with food from Morimoto's kitchen. In a country that focuses its existence on self-reliance, standards, the enjoyment of food and responsibly Green practices, I left Japan after 3 weeks still in awe. Morimoto is the moden cultural epitome of Japanese dining -- the dishes are clean yet complex, superluscious, soulful, f*(*$in sexy.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was pretty excited to eat here after watching Chef Morimoto on Iron Chef for so many years. A friend and I came for dinner and the server was nice enough to let us sake novices try a few flavors until we found one that we would like to try. For an appetizer we had the waygu beef dumplings that literally melted in your mouth. The beef was so tender and the broth so flavorful, I was very sad to have eaten them all. We finished up our meal with some sushi and the rice was cooked to perfection. Soft and delectable and I'm afraid I can never regular sushi again. Even the California Roll used fresh crab meat. I would certainly go to this restaurant again and wish he would open one in my home town!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Four of us - all sushi lovers - went to Morimoto on a Friday night recently expecting something wonderful. What we got was mediocre at best and a real disappointment.

We arrived a bit early and decided to have a pre-dinner cocktail in the bar upstairs. That turned out to be the best part of the entire dining experience. The drinks were fresh, with interesting ingredients and perfectly blended. The coffee was also very good. I will say Morimoto does cocktails very well, and would be a good place to start an evening out. Just skip the food and you'll be fine.

After a drink, we were taken to the main dining area. We decided on appetizers and each ordered our own as our server was quite enthusiastic in saying that they were meant for sharing. Well, the appetizers are meant for sharing, but the table is not. The restaurant decor IS beautiful, but the choice of a single light fixture - immovably fixed to the center of each table - makes sharing very awkward. Our choices were: Yellowtail Tartare, Sauteed Foie Gras & Grilled Eel, Spicy King Crab, and seared Wagyu Beef. We all shared and all agreed that they were universally rather awful. My Yellowtail Tartare was in itself quite good, but sat in such a large quantity of soy sauce that after a few bites it crumbled into an inedible salty soup. The crab was covered in a spicy sauce so strong (and so thickly applied) that you could have said it was shrimp and I would never have known the difference. The eel was one of the better dishes, but again, the seasoning completely overpowered the more delicate flavours of the fish. The Wagyu beef was the best of the lot, and my favourite, but at $25 per ounce was a pretentious dish not worth it's price.

We thought to recover from the dismal appetizers with some sushi rolls, which we were very optimistic about. They turned out to be pretty much the opposite of the appetizers. While I'm sure the ingredients were high quality, and everything tasted fresh, they were utterly bland and uninspired. I can say with absolutely no hyperbole that I could have gotten the same quality of rolls from my neighbourhood supermarket sushi counter. After going from bad to bland, we prudently decided against desert and left.

On the up side the cocktails were wonderful, the service was excellent & our waiter was very friendly & knowledgeable, and the decor of the restaurant and bar are very unique and quite lovely. That however goes nowhere near making up for the overpriced, oversauced, or otherwise utterly flavourless food. I think perhaps this restaurant may have once been very good, but is now resting on it's laurels and the overall impression is that they stopped trying long ago. We will definitely NOT be returning.