“Japanese Omakase Done Well” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 4,317 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Los Angeles
“Japanese Omakase Done Well”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

To come here and dine is a gift. The environment is ultra modern like Kubrick modern..... 2001 Space Oddysey style. I had the Omakase on a Thursday evening and I'm still high from the classically modern presentations, weeks later.

That you dont know what's coming is part of the fun. And then your senses begin to come alive as the plate comes, the visuals excites your glands, your imagination conjures the flavors now developing in your mouth. Then you take a bite, your mind is tickled and toyed with: you savor the complexity.

I have had the Omakase 4 times now and I can say, Morimoto's dishes are simply zen, clean and palate tickling. Dining here almost fools you into thinking, "Is that all there is?" Then the flavors creep up on you-- that nowhere near have you experienced this development of flavor and trickery in a dish. Having just returned from Japan on a food excursion, I see the continuity of the country's love affair with food from Morimoto's kitchen. In a country that focuses its existence on self-reliance, standards, the enjoyment of food and responsibly Green practices, I left Japan after 3 weeks still in awe. Morimoto is the moden cultural epitome of Japanese dining -- the dishes are clean yet complex, superluscious, soulful, f*(*$in sexy.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Arlington, VA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was pretty excited to eat here after watching Chef Morimoto on Iron Chef for so many years. A friend and I came for dinner and the server was nice enough to let us sake novices try a few flavors until we found one that we would like to try. For an appetizer we had the waygu beef dumplings that literally melted in your mouth. The beef was so tender and the broth so flavorful, I was very sad to have eaten them all. We finished up our meal with some sushi and the rice was cooked to perfection. Soft and delectable and I'm afraid I can never regular sushi again. Even the California Roll used fresh crab meat. I would certainly go to this restaurant again and wish he would open one in my home town!

Visited September 2013
Belleville, Canada
“All Style, No Substance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Four of us - all sushi lovers - went to Morimoto on a Friday night recently expecting something wonderful. What we got was mediocre at best and a real disappointment.

We arrived a bit early and decided to have a pre-dinner cocktail in the bar upstairs. That turned out to be the best part of the entire dining experience. The drinks were fresh, with interesting ingredients and perfectly blended. The coffee was also very good. I will say Morimoto does cocktails very well, and would be a good place to start an evening out. Just skip the food and you'll be fine.

After a drink, we were taken to the main dining area. We decided on appetizers and each ordered our own as our server was quite enthusiastic in saying that they were meant for sharing. Well, the appetizers are meant for sharing, but the table is not. The restaurant decor IS beautiful, but the choice of a single light fixture - immovably fixed to the center of each table - makes sharing very awkward. Our choices were: Yellowtail Tartare, Sauteed Foie Gras & Grilled Eel, Spicy King Crab, and seared Wagyu Beef. We all shared and all agreed that they were universally rather awful. My Yellowtail Tartare was in itself quite good, but sat in such a large quantity of soy sauce that after a few bites it crumbled into an inedible salty soup. The crab was covered in a spicy sauce so strong (and so thickly applied) that you could have said it was shrimp and I would never have known the difference. The eel was one of the better dishes, but again, the seasoning completely overpowered the more delicate flavours of the fish. The Wagyu beef was the best of the lot, and my favourite, but at $25 per ounce was a pretentious dish not worth it's price.

We thought to recover from the dismal appetizers with some sushi rolls, which we were very optimistic about. They turned out to be pretty much the opposite of the appetizers. While I'm sure the ingredients were high quality, and everything tasted fresh, they were utterly bland and uninspired. I can say with absolutely no hyperbole that I could have gotten the same quality of rolls from my neighbourhood supermarket sushi counter. After going from bad to bland, we prudently decided against desert and left.

On the up side the cocktails were wonderful, the service was excellent & our waiter was very friendly & knowledgeable, and the decor of the restaurant and bar are very unique and quite lovely. That however goes nowhere near making up for the overpriced, oversauced, or otherwise utterly flavourless food. I think perhaps this restaurant may have once been very good, but is now resting on it's laurels and the overall impression is that they stopped trying long ago. We will definitely NOT be returning.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Saint Augustine, Florida
“Top Notch Sushi and more!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The decor is serene yet enticing. The food is superb! The menu is selective yet more than you could possibly order in one night....and believe me it's difficult to restrain yourself from trying it all. A must do if you're looking an intimate evening with someone special, or an A-list experience with friends and family.

• Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Disappointment of the Decade!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were so excited to try Morimoto in Philadelphia....we're big sushi fans, and fans of Morimoto on Iron Chef as well. Words cannot convey our disappointment in the food at Morimoto. The cocktails were very fresh, original, and well made. The tea was good as well. We should have stopped there and gone to dinner elsewhere. The appetizers and sushi rolls were overpriced, bland, and some of the most disappointing dining experiences we've had. Toss the price of each into the mix and it was doubly insulting. Truly a pretentious, over-rated restaurant that is getting by on looks alone. A few weeks back we dined at Kome in the Promenade Shops in Center Valley, PA and I have to say the experience and food was heads and tails above Morimoto at less than half the price. Our server told us that Kome's chef was once Morimoto's Sous Chef and in this case, the student has definitely surpassed the Master.

• Visited August 2013