“Amazing food, awesome service, fantastic experience”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was a late birthday trip my brother suggested, after looking up the menu I couldn't pass it up. We made reservations even though it was a Monday and when we arrived there was no one else there (our party was 5 people). Right off the bat our waiter was fantastic, he answered all of our questions and described each dish perfectly. We tried so many appetizers and each tried a bit of our entrees, finished off with two desserts and every single thing was fantastic! Next time we plan to do the tasting menu to experience even more.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We are not sushi people, so I was a bit apprehensive. However, our meal and the service were spectacular. I have found that oftentimes the wait staffs at expensive or acclaimed restaurants can be a bit snooty. Not so here. Our waitress was knowledgeable, attentive and walked a bunch of sushi rookies through the menu with patience and humor. Our shrimp appetizer was great. My main course of "Duck, Duck, Duck" was rare treat for a lover of duck. My wife and my daughter's fish dishes were equally good. The restaurant and its staff exceeded my already lofty expectations.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Given the reputation of and the high cost of eating at Morimoto's I expected better. The only aspect of our evening there that met expectations was the cost. In the main the food was good. I was expecting superb. One of my favorite items at Japanese restaurants is Uni (sea urchin). What I had, though fresh, was just OK - lacked the usual taste. Considering its expense I had anticipated a much higher quality, comparable to what I have had several times consistently at the NYC Morimotos' and elsewhere. The rest of my meal was good, but again not exceptional. My companions had similar assessments about what they ordered.
Further impressions: I found the wait-staff to be a bit too pretentious. And, worse, the cavernous architecture of the restaurant creates a very noisy and loud ambiance. Maybe that's desirable by some, but for me it made it impossible to hear what the waiters as well as my companions
were saying part of the time

1  Thank A_G_Lord
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is the Iron Chef's first restaurant and we have wanted to try it ever since going to his NYC location. We had four fantastic meals but the highlights were the high grade quality of the sushi, presentations, and sakes. I had the upgraded omakase meal with accompanying sake. I liked about two thirds of my meal but did not find the salad with sashimi course anything special. I am also not a lobster fan so I do have some regrets upgrading, but it was still artfull done and beautifully presented. I wonder if the omakase is always the same no matter the season. The pictures on tripadvisor looked exactly like mine. I think I would be disappointed if they didn't come up with newer and a changing menu. Of course, no sighting of the famous chef but the service was top notch and they were very well trained. It is nice to go somewhere and have attentive and knowledgeable servers. The desserts were fantastic including the chocolate cream dish and the green tea three ways dessert. For the four of us, it cost the GDP of a small country but it was well worth it. We could have always chosen the $14 ramen so I am not complaining. It was a very memorable experience.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is another place to relax and take your time. Take an old friend you have not seen for a while and catch up between the very delicious courses