“Second time”
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
“Second time”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

I would have to say the ambiance is great. The service is exceptional. The food is good, but way too expensive. I ordered the special and my plate ended up costing over $120. I understand Kobe beef steaks are the best and I've had them before, but these were chewy, and not up to par.

It was my fiancées birthday and this was the second time we came here for his celebration. The sushi chefs at the bar are great entertainers as well as on par with everything they do. Props!

But after receiving the bill for $338.59, And leaving a 20% tip, = $410. I certainly had diners remorse. Next time we will go to the mosula, or the steak plae next to the Palomar hotel.

2 Thank Amethyst D

• Korean first
Sunset, South Carolina
“An expensive disappointment”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Looking forward to the "iron chef" experience. My wife and I chose the Omekase tasting menu. 3 price points-$80, $120 & $150 pp. we asked about the differences and were told that there were the same number of courses for each but the ingredients were higher quality as you chose the higher price points. We went with the highest price point and we were greatly disappointed. Other than three minuscule pieces of Waygu beef, we didn't feel the ingredients used were any better than what you would get in any above average sushi bar. In addition, the presentations were not very impressive. Maybe Chef Morimoto uses all of his creativity for the TV show Iron Chef America because the food presentations of the 8 course menu was very plebeian.

Service was good and restaurant was attractive, but we made a huge mistake in assuming that a $300 dinner for 2(not including drinks and tip) was going to be a special experience. Unfortunately, this restaurant will not be on our list of favorites and will pass on it the next time we are on Philadelphia.

1 Thank 41RobertB41
Scottsdale, Arizona
“one of our favorite restaurants anywhere”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

When I go out to a restaurant, I'm looking for excellent food, dishes I can't make at home, and a bit of panache. Steven Star restaurants have it all, and morimoto is no exception. Star restaurants immerse you in a kind of stage set, and every detail is attended to, including the music, the wait staff uniforms, and the lighting. morimoto has a sleek, serene, underwater kind of look, with softly glowing tables. Needless to say, the food is sublime. It's not just delicious; it's beautiful. Each dish is a creative, Asian-style masterpiece - from appetizers to desserts. We've eaten here many, many times and have loved it every time!

Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Highly overrated and overpriced”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Snooty service, average food, not worth the ridiculous check. Heaven help you if you have dietary needs because they are not equipped to handle it. Not worth all of the hype, expense and pretense at being something that it isn't.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Deby R
Philadelphia Suburb
“I expected better food...but the atmosphere was cool”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food was fine, but it wasn't amazing. I've had better sushi elsewhere. The salmon carpaccio was good, but they give you a lot of it, so it's too much for one person. If I went back, I'd share it with someone. Our waiter was nice, but impersonal and explained the basics of Japanese food. I suppose they get lots of tourists so they are accustomed to explaining everything. I love music, but they play it so loudly you really can't have a conversation unless you shout at your friends during dinner. The color changing lights/walls/tables/etc are nice to look at but overall I felt like I was dining in a night club. Not relaxing, just hype. Mostly a smoke & mirrors place.

• Visited August 2012