“Great Japanese dining!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morimoto

Morimoto
Reserve with OpenTable
Morimoto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 4,318 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 7th & 8th on Chestnut Street
Transit: Route 47 bus – Chestnut Street stop.
Needham
“Great Japanese dining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Beautiful decor, intimate dining, great food preparation, presentation and service. Be sure to explore the kaiseki style offerings on the menu. Sake list unfortunately was greatly out of reach. While some may not worry about a 10oz bottle for $80-$299, it would have been nice to have a few more affordable offerings. At least there are some affordable Japanese beer offerings. Memorable dishes - Foie Gras with cripsy rice, pickled cherries and mustard greens. Ishi Yaki Bop created at the table using a Hot River stonebowl - king yellow tail (seared on the inside edge of the bowl) seaweed, fronds and chicken egg stirred in with the rice. Outstanding Yosedofu - tofu made at the table and served with crab ankake.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Pleasanton, CA
“Very good, but also pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

The best part of the meal in my opinion was the sushi. If I had to do it all over again, I would have stuck with the sushi and not had the cooked food. The quality of the fish was excellent. My cooked food was like a bouliabase, so it continued to cook while I ate it which made the shrimp tough and the crab legs mushy. Others in our party had the beef dish and thought it was outstanding. The drinks were great and their sake selection is very nice. I would go back (and have the sushi!).

Visited September 2012
Valley Forge, PA
“Average sushi/sahimi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

For my birthday, my wife and I decided to bring the family back to Morimoto. We brought our young daughter who was so excited to step in The restaurant. She sampled the Morimoto tempura and seemed happy. Her entertainment consist of watching the fresh tofu (Yosedofu) prepared delicately on our table. The cold green udon noddle (Cha-soba) was tasty, but nothing special.
Ishi-yaki Buri-bop is like a Korean style dish with slices of yellow tail cooked along the sides of the hot stone. This is very good and we enjoyed it.
We had a sushi/sahimi Omakase dinner worth $150. It consists of 48 pieces of sushi and sashimi combined, plus 16 pcs. of rolls.
It was not as impressive as when Chef M used to be in Philly all the time. All sashimi pieces were just fine except for one that has a distinct odor.
I also sampled the Morimoto Hazlenut beer which was fine, but was charged $1.50 on top of the full bottle price of $16.
Overall, I would prefer going to a tiny Japanese place tucked in collingswood, NJ across the river for their consistent fresh sushi/sashimi.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MeadowsValleyForge
PIttsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fun with the Tasting Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

It was our anniversary and we really enjoyed our dinner. I did the tasting menu and it was amazing. Good variety with delightful sushi and kobe beef elements. My husband ordered off the menu and the foie gras appetizer was amazing and the beef that he seared himself on a hot stone was delicious and buttery. It was an expensive meal, but worth it. And they gave us a free champagne toast for our anniversary. Service was extremely professional!

Visited July 2012
NJ
“Worth the money!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

We did the omakase for dinner and it was fabulous. I usually don't splurge on restaurants but I'm glad we did. It was so good and the service was great. Our server was helpful in explaining all the different types of sake and figuring out which sake we would enjoy with our dinner. I also like how everyone wasn't pretentious. I am for the NYC area and the restaurant staff usually acts like they're doing you a favor for letting you eat at their restaurant. Definitely recommend this place and don't be afraid to try something different from their menu. You'll like it.

Visited September 2012