“A "must do" breakfast spot if staying in the hotel”

Lacroix at The Rittenhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Lacroix at The Rittenhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 4,459 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 19th & Walnut
Transit: PHLASH
Description: Located in the prestigious Rittenhouse Hotel, gazing over downtown Philadelphia's most elegant square, Lacroix has become a landmark in its own right. Romantic and evocative, our dining room beckons with the luminous glow of candlelight. Indulge your palate in our world-class menu, composed of the freshest ingredients.
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

I've only been to this restaurant for breakfast or brunch when staying in the hotel. If you have time in the morning, there's no better way to start your day. The atmosphere and food are excellent, with a lovely view of Rittenhouse square. The Sunday brunch is quite an experience, and I especially like the meandering way in which the food is presented, including multiple stops in the kitchen itself. The brunch is very popular and an advance reservation is a good idea.

Sylvain B, General Manager at Lacroix at The Rittenhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Travelpro513,
Thank you for your stellar review. I'm delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations. You should join us for dinner as well sometimes!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I had Sunday brunch at Lacroix and it was a thoroughly satisfying experience. It's buffet type, beginning with raw bar and other nibblies, including three types of caviar and blini's, fine oysters, decent shrimp, a not very exciting sushi. The other beginners ranged from very good (e.g octopus to ok) The salads were interesting, but we missed a simple salad to clear our palates. The main attraction, however, was in the kitchen, where one helped one self to the specials they had on offer. The carving station had top notch meat, cooked to perfection, including lamb chops, duck breasts and pork. Some very interesting dishes were also offered, duck legs with red-cabbage-- a perfect offering for the holiday season--wonderful brussel sprouts, and excellent potatoes. The meatballs were not very exciting. Desert was plentiful, but we preferred the raspberries with whipped cream (though were disappointed to discover the cream had sugar in it). The service was excellent. For us a good experience, though unlike many other fine Sunday brunches (for example the Biltmore in Santa Barbara California, where sparkling wine is included in the price) the drinks were expensive, making the value of the place a bit high. Still a very nice place to enjoy a leisurely and excellent Sunday brunch.

Sylvain B, General Manager at Lacroix at The Rittenhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2012

Dear fiu222,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experinece with others. We are very pleased to see how much you enjoyed our Sunday Brunch. I look forward to sharing your review with the entire team. Looking forward to your next visit.
Regards

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Atmosphere in lovely. Menu is classic and special. I would reserve this place for a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday.

Dear Bonnie Z,
Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to serve you again soon.
Kind Regards. Sylvain

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Walked into the Rittenhouse hotel and looked around for the restaurant. Found a freestanding sign for the restaurant i the lobby area but could not find the actual restaurant. Eventually asked to be told to go up to the second floor. Dinner is a fixed price $75 for four courses but be careful as one dish carried a supplementary $80 charge! The food was innovative and beautifully served. The recitation of the dish components came across as too mechanical and said so fast that there was no chance of actually understanding what was being said. Qute formal staff.

Sylvain B, General Manager at Lacroix at The Rittenhouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear MikeBirdman,
Thank you for dining with us. Your point is well taken on the recitation of the dish components. I appreciate you bring those kinds of remarks to my attention because your comments are being taken in a constructive manner. Regarding the supplementary $80 charge, you forgot to mention that it was for the white truffles, which is a very expensive product. Best wishes for the holidays to you and your family. Sylvain

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have heard that this has the reputation for being the "Best Sunday Brunch" in Philadelphia. I am certainly not going to dispute that or argue against it. I loved the brunch that I ate. I walked through the whole presentation before attacking my meal. I looked first at the sushi style items and the shell fish. I was not excited. I am spoiled. I love the sushi that I get in Los Angeles. No problem. I went on to the appertisers. A few of those looked great. When I got to the kitchen, (they serve the main courses in the kitchen), I knew taht is where I had to concentrate my efforts. I did look at the deserts offered in the kitchen too. That was for later though.
Back to the important foods. I had the rack of lamb, cooked absolutelt perfectly. I love somewhere between rare and medium rare. It was "perfect". The duck looked soooo good I suggested to the chef that he should just give me a whole one. I was kidding but ultimately I did get enough slices to make a whole one. The Brussel sprouts were delicious. They had some crayfish blended in. The scallop sausage was amazing. You must ask for it when you go. I almost missed out on it because I did not understand what I was looking at. The potato crisps with sea salt was the "best" I have had anywhere. I di have an oyster which was good. I really went back over and over for the things that I found that I really liked. The deserts were really interesting and wonderful. The chocolate fountain, both light and dark chocolate, were delicious. They had pumpkin marshmellows. Went well with the chocolate fountain. The vanilla honey icecream was different and good too.
The Liquid Nitrogen Station was wonderful and innovative. It was milk choclate with salted caramel ganache. Different and worth the trip.
I am glad I don't live in Philadelphia, I would weigh 100's of pounds more because I could not keep myself away from this place.
I have to complement the staff too. They were absolutely perfect in their attention to detail even though it was a brunch. Also I was pleased that when as a guest I got up each time and waked to the different stations I did not have to fight for my space with the staff. Too many restaurants do not train the staff to be polte. They would excuse themselves for walking wher you want to go. Not here they were wonderfully polite. That sure makes for a better total restaurant experience. Especially when you add the quality they serve.
It is not cheap but it is worth every penny tehy get. Go if you can you will not be sorry.

Sylvain B, General Manager at Lacroix at The Rittenhouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear 800FoodFanatic800,
Thank you so much for this outstanding review! We are all delighted that you had a pleasant dining experience with us and look forward to your return. I shall be sure to pass on your gracious comments to Chef Cichon and the staff of Lacroix. Looking forward to your next visit!