“Super Professional bar staff”

Sassafras International Cafe
Ranked #277 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just stopped in for drinks. Its a very small place however the bar itself is a beautiful antique and the barstools comfortable. The place lends itself to 1920"s speakeasy. The bartenders are professionals and very well trained, Didn't eat but menu was a typical bar menu, food that was ordered around us smelled very good and the people seemed to enjoy. A very cool place to stop in for awhile and enjoy a well made drink.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Sometimes you just want a good drink, a good burger and some good live music. Sassafras in "Old City" Philadelphia has consistently provided me with all three and more! When you walk up on the days I do (pretty much any evening but Sunday or Monday) you're greeted with a local jazz band (my favorites are Brady the sax player and Jason the guitarist on Tuesdays) and one of the amazingly friendly and competent bartenders who will (if the crowd isn't terribly large) take your order for a drink and a meal (if you're hungry).

The burgers are AMAZING! Served on a "kaiser" roll, you have a choice of sirloin, lamb (a new fav or mine), buffalo, ostrich (which I'm told is excellent) and veggie (not a pre made patty but a hand-formed custom blend of theirs which I happen to love). If you want something more substantial there are selections like lamb "lollipops" and a rather uniquely flavored steak sandwich (not your typical "Philly cheesesteak"). The salads are good and they have some nice appetizers like the "Verniki" which are described as "Mongolian dumplings" but remind me of sort of an Asian pirogie.

Now for those who imbibe... "Sass" has some amazing drinks including some hard to find libations that are from a time long past. I happen to like their take on the Vesper (the classic "James Bond" drink) which they make using Triple Sec vs. the Kina Lillet). Served ICE COLD, it's a nice way to unwind. They also have a wonderful selection of single malts (Macallan, Oban, Glenlivet and others) and bourbons (Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark, etc.) as well as your typical "well drinks."

All in all I love the place. If I had a "complaint" it would be that it opens at 5 (I think) in the evening. I'd love a burger at lunchtime from them. Oh well - they're worth the wait. Go, and enjoy!

1  Thank cestrell
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Great little bar down the street from City Tavern. Has an open wall so you can enjoy the beautiful weather whiel enjoying a cocktail.

Reviewed January 8, 2010

I have to start with a positive: I loved my waiter/bartender. He was very friendly, funny, and competent. That is the end of anything positive I can say about this place. Oh, and the women's bathroom is nice and bigger than my apartment.

The restaurant smells awful - like a bathroom, in fact. My water had two black pellets in it. The sweet potato fries were hard and crunchy and flavorless. There are so many great places to eat in Old City. This, unfortunately, isn't one of them.

Reviewed October 29, 2009

I love this place. It is my favorite bar in old city. Really makes you feel like you are in Europe. Old building with tile and dark wood bar. In the winter, sit near the back by the real fire place and have a drink at one of the small tables with your love in the candle light. Its really romantic.
They have live music sometimes too, including a fiddle player. This really adds to the European feel! LOVED IT!
I haven't tryed the food here so sorry, can't comment on that.
The only thing strange is the decor of the handpainted bathroom...wacky, but OK.
Oh - the place is pretty small too. I like to call it "intimate".