“Distinctively Average”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: At the corner of Broad & Chestnut
Description: The Avenue of the Arts is the perfect avenue to dry aged steaks, too. Philadelphia Magazine declared The Capital Grille “a carnivore’s dream.” Top off your fabulous meal with dreamy Chocolate Espresso Cake or Crème Brulée. Then stroll it off on your way to Kimmel Center or the theatre.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

OK, so I have to start the review by stating that we visited the Grille during Restaurant Week, which in Philly is when every establishment offers a $35 dinner. The idea is allow people to try the food, and hopefully convert them into repeat customers. We visit the Grille 3-4 times a year, so took the opportunity to treat my son to a good steak. Alas , on this occasion we were let down.

Walking in a few minutes early we went to the bar and were greeted by a rude and grumpy bartender who didn't even make eye-contact. It wasn't just us, if you weren't a known regular you were treated with disdain. Not a great first impression. A Cosmo and a gin and tonic ran to $25 so watch the alcohol orders. After being seated the service was pleasant without being amazingly good. We ordered a variety of appetizers, a soup, a herb green salad and Caesar salad. Each was OK but not great, although its hard to excel on that kind of fare. By coincidence we each ordered the filet mignon, and although perfectly cooked it was disappointing in taste. Yet again the food was good without being great.

To be fair, in the past we have had a five star experience at the Capital Grille, but since my policy is just to rate the most recent experience. I do feel that the restaurant is in a very slow decline. In the past month I've dined at Flemings in Baltimore and Trulucks in Dallas and both offered better food and service at a comparable price. And I didn't feel like I was getting ripped on the booze.

If you want a good steak in Philly you have other options like Barclay Prime, Morton's and Butcher/Singer. This isn't popular wisdom, but that's my opinion.

1  Thank John C

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We've eaten here a few times, the steaks are always cooked perfectly and the seasonings seem to complement the beef without overpowering it. The Kona Rub was a little strong but unexpectedly worked well to enhance the flavor of the steak. For a more private (couples/romance) dining spot, request a booth in the section behind the bar - these are smaller and cozier. The bar does fill up and get quite noisy later in the evening, but the drinks are well made - we especially enjoy the Stoli Doli martini.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have eaten here many times and the food is exceptional as well as the service. I'm writing again because the waiter we had made the 5 stars that I gave it up to 10 stars. His name is Rob and he treated us like we were his only customers, he was humorous, he was involved in what we were talking about and made an already wonderful restaurant into a fabulous evening out with the girls for Restaurant Week.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

a group of 6 of us met here for lunch. the service is excellent and so was the food. dining here during restaurant week is a very special bargain.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband, my parents, and I dined at the Capital Grille for the first time during Restaurant Week and had a very pleasant experience. We chose to go here because the RW menu offerings were actually legitimate samplings of top entrees instead of paltry substitutes for the RW crowd, and three of us had a fairly sizeable Kona-crusted sirloin steak which was delightful. Our server Dirk was friendly and gave off no hint of treating us like RW riff-raff, despite the fact that we ordered no alcohol (not big drinkers). Were it not for the prohibitive cost, we would definitely dine more often. As is, it will be a special occasion-only kind of place, but no complaints otherwise!