“My favorite restaurant in Phily”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alma de Cuba

Alma de Cuba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma de Cuba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 4,341 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Central American, Caribbean, International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 16th and 17th
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
philadelphia
“My favorite restaurant in Phily”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

i disagree with the first reviewer. i think alma de cuba is much better than cuba libre. i've been exploring many restaurants in phily, and alma de cuba is by far one of the best. i think the interior decor, mojito, vaca frita at alma are much better. duck breast dish is to die for. i found mojito at cuba libre a bit too sweet (almost like virgin). while cuba libre is more festive and some of the presentation was great (like a plate with dry ice), alma de cuba is more sophisticated and chic. i recommend this restaurant to everyone.

Philadelphia, PA
“Not as good as Cuba Libre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2007

Alma de Cuba is definitely a good place, but I found that Cuba Libre (2nd and Market) was better in nearly every respect -- more inventive dishes, better mojitos, better service, and a more lively atmosphere -- and all for a similar price.

Gilmer, Texas
“A different opinion”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2006

i feel badly when I give a restarant or hotel that everyone else loves a so-so review because it seems to me like everyone who reads it says "review was not helpful". Personallly, I prefer to read the good with the bad so here goes.....mojito was good, service was ok, food was so-so. My oyster appetizer was cold and the oysters were sort of frozen, prepared food tasting. The scallops were ok but the ham croquettes served with them were gummy and bland as well as luke-warm. My friend's pork chop was 50%fat. Servings were huge and we had no room for dessert. We are attending an event in Philly and only have one night on our own so I am disappointed that we used it on Alma de Cuba and would recommend trying another restaurant.

3 Thank seaski42
Washington, DC
“Quite simply.... excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

Had dinner with my fiance after spending time looking for a premier dining place in Philly.
We were amazed ... the food, the service, the overall athmosphere- simply perfect.

Since I travel for work I regularly sample a wide variety of restaurants ranging from Taco Bell to Morton's and such. This is by far the best place I have seen!

Tip: From outside the place looks a bit sketchy but once you are inside it is quite stylish. No valet parking. Again- go there for the food... it's perfect.

Prices were moderate and definitely worth it.

Brussels, Belgium
“Absolutely fantastic!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

I cannot say enough good things about my recent experience at Alma De Cuba. We had a reservation for 7:45, but arrived more than one hour early and were seated immediately. Everyone from the hostess to our server to the person who brought us their fenomenal bread was gracious, friendly and welcoming. The ambiance and the music were relaxing and romantic. We started off with two glasses of sangria ($8 each), shared an entree (arepas with mushrooms, $21) for an appetizer and had pistachio crusted lamb ($28?) and sugar cane seared tuna rubbed in cofee and rum mixture ($29). For dessert, we shared a trio of sorbets (apple lychee, watermelon mojito and ginger peach $7) and I had a pot of tea ($.4.50). The food was beautifully presented and the portions were more than sufficient. After tax and tip, our dinner came to $137. We told our server that we loved the bread, and she packed 6 bread rolls for us to go (at no charge).
We came to Philadelphia for a wedding, but I tell you, this dinner alone was worth the 6 hour drive from Boston. I cannot wait to go back.

1 Thank giulietta429