“Our Favorite in the City!”
Review of Alma de Cuba

Alma de Cuba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma de Cuba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Central American, International
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 16th and 17th
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
Philadelphia
“Our Favorite in the City!”
Reviewed July 31, 2006

Alma de Cuba is our favorite restaurant in the city, if not the East Coast. My wife and I ate here on our wedding night (we were staying at the Rittenhouse Hotel before flying out of PHL), our first anniversary and just when we want a fabulous evening in the city. Every time we have friends or family visiting, we take them to Alma and they have never (ever) been disappointed. We visited again last night and loved every minute of it. The only complaint people have is that everything on the menu looks fantastic and it is hard to make the decision. Everything from the Mojito's to the Chocolate Tres Leches cake is fantastic. The Smoked Marlin Tacos are probably my favorite though and the little bread balls they serve are unbelievable. Generally, I painstakingly decide on an entree (because everything looks good), but then I hear the specials and cannot resist. I had the Hawaiian Butterfish special last night and like always, it was fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Philadelphia. It can get a little noisy at times, both with people talking and the great music playing, but its part of the atmosphere...just don't go expecting a quiet evening.

1 Thank buckeyes15

San Diego, CA
“Spectacular all round”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

I have been to Alma de Cuba 4 times over the past 2 years and I am always amazed at how consistently excellent it is. The service is always friendly, professional and attentive. All the drinks are delicious, and the food is just WOW. During my most recent dinner, I had the special chilled tomatillo gazpacho which was perfect for the summer especially with the chilled shrimp and pickled cucumbers. The sweet corn scallop entree was simply divine - the scallops were perfect... just barely done and tender. If you love fine food, this is simply the place for you.

United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Scrumptious Ceviche”
Reviewed April 18, 2006

We (party of 4) dined a little early for a Friday night - 6:15 - but we were given a prime seat on the second floor. Our waiter was wonderful in helping us select a broad range of flavors to satisfy our tastebuds.

We started with a tasting of 5 different ceviches. I'm not a fan of raw fish but each dish was exquisite. No wonder the chef has his own book of ceviche recipes!

For our second round of appetizers we had the smoked marlin as well as the oyster rodriguez. Neither was as good as the ceviche.

The restaurant was very generous in splitting plates. My date and I shared a bowl of the Sancocho de Pollo soup (delicious) and we were both presented with a large serving.

The pictures of the dining area on Alma de Cuba's website don't do it justice. The main dining room is much darker which creates a more intimate atmosphere. The waiter was very friendly and helpful and the cocktails were almost too good. All in all, the meal I had at Alma de Cuba has been one of the best yet. I can't wait to go back.

1 Thank wolfcreeker
Virginia
“Yum!”
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I was recently on a business trip to Philadelphia when a friend asked me to head out to dinner. He took me to the awesome restauranto n Walnut and 17th, Alma De Cuba. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful this place is. From the minute you walk in the door you are treated with respect and gratitude. The decor is awesome, low lighting, very romantic if you want that, or just a fun, upscale place to hang out with friends!

Dont let the long wait run you off, grab a drink in teh bar and listen to the salsa music!

We were seated on the third floor of the building and it is very nice.

I highily reccomend Alma De Cuba, no matter the cost!

1 Thank Mathew B
Dallas, PA
“Very Romantic”
Reviewed January 29, 2006

My husband & I recently ate at Alma de Cuba & were very impressed with the entire experience. The restaurant is located in a three story townhouse structure with the dining areas on the 2nd & 3rd floors. We were seated on the 3rd floor & could view the 2nd floor dining area from our location. The service was wonderful, the food was fabulous. We ate ceviche for the first time (Equadorian Shrimp) & it was delicious. The pace of the meal was just right. Would we go there again? Absolutely, YES!

1 Thank traveldallas,pa