“Excellent Atmosphere”
Review of Alma de Cuba

Alma de Cuba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma de Cuba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, International
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 16th and 17th
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you want some good Cuban style food with the rhythm to match this is the place to go in Philadelphia. The staff are very helpful and friendly. We will visit again once in Philadelphia.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Having visited Philly a lot while a daughter was in law school here, I knew that Starr Restaurant group usually had great food. This place was no exception. If you have good eyes to read the menu in the dimly lit place you will see a variety of Cuban options. I went with a special smoked chicken enchilada, and a side of fried plantains. I love plantains and these were exceptional. The enchilada was unique and not typical inexpensive Latin fare. I ended with the crepes for dessert, although I think a couple of the other options may have been better. I enjoyed the Sangria Blanco so much, I had another! Dinner was $63 without the tip, but I have to confess it was worth it.
A note about staff...exceptionally friendly. Manager Josh came by and left me a card with all the Starr group options listed AND his personal email in case he could help me with other reservations. Nice touch.
Not only would I come back, but I'm thinking other Starr's are also in my future this week in Philly...

Reviewed October 18, 2013

amazing
plantains are delicious
nice ambiance
interesting cocktails
good wait staff
cigar chocolate amazing

Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I went here for his birthday last night. The portions were small but filling and flavorful. He had the date plums (a change for him but a great surprise) and the rainbow trout. Both were fabulous. I'm a vegetarian so I had the empanadas and the crispy rice lentil dish. There are not a ton of vegetarian options but the two I choose were great!
There were a ton of fish options and although I couldn't eat them they all looked equally spectacular.
The waitress was nice and polite but not over he top and Josh the manager was very attentive and friendly.
Two things to know the lighting is very dim (as with so many restaurants so bring your phone to read the menu if you need the extra light) and also we were told the parking was validated and when we went to check out of the garage $2 of the $12 charge came off the parking ticket. The garage was very close and would have been somewhere we would have parked anyway but just wanted to put it out there. As with most of our Steven Starr Restaurant experiences another home run for sure.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Usually it is the Peruvians who make the best ceviche, and while that remains true, this Cuban restaurant has great ceviche.

so go eat ceviche.