“Fav Starr Restaurant”
Review of Alma de Cuba

Alma de Cuba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma de Cuba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 4,351 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Central American, International
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Between 16th and 17th
Transit: Take the Broad Street Line to Walnut-Locust Station. Walk 2.5 blocks West; The 42 Bus Route Runs on Walnut Street and Locust Street. 17th Street stop.
Cape May, New Jersey
“Fav Starr Restaurant”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The food is never a disappointment. You have to try a mojito, it is their specialty. The decor is amazing, the restaurant is 3 stories and as you enter you see the giant grand staircase. There is a mezzanine on the third floor with tables that has an over view of the main dining room, which is located on the second floor. The downstairs is a lounge area but you can eat dinner there too. I'm pretty sure the restaurant was designed by the David Rockwell group, from NYC, and it is just to die for. I love Starr restaurants and this one is one of my favs!

• Visited September 2012

Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, United States
“Shameful and unfortunate decline”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been to this restaurant over a dozen times during the last few years. Being from Latin America, I am very familiar with the Nuevo Latino cuisine, and Chef Douglas Rodriguez style. The last meal I had at this restaurant was an embarrassment. I was excited to take my teenage son with me for the first time, and unfortunately, it was an extreme disappointment. Not only did the waiters not know the food, but also the quality was appalling. Neither one of us finished our meal. The dishes were so poorly prepared, that we paid the bill and left politely. So hopeless was the quality of the food, that there was no point in making any remarks to the staff. We simply will never return.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Ernesto L
Necochea, Argentina
“A Very Special Meal with Family”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I dined at Alma de Cuba with my family, and the meal was excellent in every way. I had ceviche (appetizer), a generous portion of lechón as my entree with a side of tostones, and a trio of sorbets for dessert. The lechón was the best I've ever had—the crispy skin was to die for. I also had a mojito, which was delicious and very refreshing. The service was on point and the ambiance of the restaurant was really nice as well. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Visited June 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Flawless: service, atmosphere, food”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a terrific experience when we dined at Alma de Cuba with friends. Our waiter, Dave, was entertaining but not overbearing, and extremely knowledgeable about menu items. Our Cuban Vegetable Salad was crisp and refreshing; the entrees (pork, salmon, and trout) delicious. Highly recommend. Wonderful ambience.

Visited July 2013
Wilmington, De
“Birthday Meal”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Took my wife for her birthday before a concert. First time visitors to this restaurant. Were 10 minutes late for our reservation, which was no problem. We were seated immediately on the second floor. Ordered drinks, appetizers and entrees. Received bread and an oil mix which were good. Later found out the bread was made of yucca. Appetizers(Salad of crispy vegetables, and lamb neck casabe) were both enjoyed. Enrees were skirt steak(delicious) and crispy skin pork(too fatty). My wife does not mind fat, and they did ask if she was aware it was fatty, but it was too rich with the fat and it stuck to her teeth, which was an unappetizing feeling. We skipped dessert as we we just didn't feel like it at the time.
Overall, it was nice and service was excellent. The food was what the menu said and was prepared well. It was expensive, and on the borderline of being worth the price.

• Visited June 2013