“Great”

Neighborhood: City Center East
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Fast, delicious, not too pricey (apps are great here), good service all around, nice decor etc etc. Really great place in general, definitely go check it out.

Visited September 2012

Middletown, NJ
“Excellent Food & Service!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Loved the food and service...overall great experience...Bathroom could have been cleaner but I could easily overlook that due to it being so crowded...

Visited September 2012
Budapest, Hungary
“Best Malaysian food in Chinatown !”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Tiny place tucked away in the heart of Chinatown in downtown Philly .... Though I Wdnt give it high marks for ambience the food was worth walking in the rain for! Luckily we got a table almost immediately but the place did seem very full.

Amazing starters (flat bread with gravy), and we ordered 3 mains: a beef in a black sauce which was too good, succulent and tender, a whole fish with okra, also good. And the third was a chicken dish with gravy which was average but still tasted good.

I did find it to be on the pricy side considering the ambience, decor etc all seemed low cost.

• Visited August 2012
Richmond, Indiana
“The best in China Town, better than many in Philly”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Whatever good you've heard, it's probably true.

I've had a lot of Malaysian friends, many from the state of Penang. Since Penang is known for its prowess for great food, it should be no surprise that this restaurant does so well.

When I lived around Philadelphia for 8 years, I would avoid most of the places in China Town. The food just wasn't right. I'd try the hole-in-the-wall restaurants and they were hit-or-miss. Sometimes, I would get food fit for an Asian, and other times, it was so Americanized that it wasn't tasty to me.

I believe these people are doing something that few do: they're serving what they like, much like what you find at Korean restaurants.

It was a bit difficult to find the place, not that it's hidden by the pavement, errr, sidewalks are narrow and the building numbers are usually blocked by someone's big sign. I've often found it better to be on the other side of the street in order to find a place. This restaurant is on the east side of 10th Street. The sign is black and gray and a bit worn so you might not notice it.

Inside, it's all modern and sleek without a metallic look. Someone was quick to greet me and showed me to a table for two next to the window. That means I have to have better manners than the families in the back of the restaurant, because I'm on display to the whole world walking past the place.

I had two thoughts when I arrived: roti canai and nasi lemak. I took some time to look at the menu and someone came to ask me about a drink. He wanted to give me hot tea and I was sweating like mad and asked for anything cold to drink.

In a few minutes, an older gentleman came to the table and we talked about appetizers, and I ordered the roti canai. I still wasn't sure what it was exactly but roti is like fried or braised puri, so it seemed safe. I like Indian food but as far as Malaysian Indian food, I have no idea.

Another minute later, the dear woman who seated me returned to ask me what I decided, and I ordered the nasi lemak and told her that the gentleman had taken the roti canai part of the order.

It was busy, but I believe that the roti canai arrived quickly. The image of it reminded me of frying a tortilla for a taco salad. It looked like a small mountain. I tore some of it and dipped it in the curry and it tasted so good, that I started to smile, I'm sure. To extend the tortilla analogy, it was like having chips and salsa.

It took a bit longer for the nasi lemak but the staff kept filling my water glass. When the dish arrived, I was quite ready for a treat. They fulfilled my expectations. The plate came with the nasi lemak, some cucumber strips, a sliced, hard-boiled egg, curry chicken balls, and it was all so amazing.

Now, I know that non-Asians probably don't want to eat whole anchovies, or possibly any anchovy bits at all. However, they're not seasoned the Italian way, and they're crunchy and tasty and a good source of all those things you'll never get eating red meat. I eat tofu, also, but it's just part of life, and it's good for you.

I was surprised that the sauces were a bit sweet, but this was my first experience. I've noticed that some Chinese food tends to be more sweet than Japanese or Korean food is. However, with everything included, the sweet wasn't overwhelming and the anchovies might have neutralized a bit of the sweet.

I'd recommend that anyone, within 1500 miles, drive, fly, bike, or otherwise flock to Penang and try anything and everything. I'd love to use the menu as a check list. I can't say that about many places.

• Visited July 2012
Coatesville, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place to eat in China Town”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The Mango Chicken is to die for! Hands down one of my very favorite places to eat in the city. But ask for a fork, the metal chopsticks can be tricky!

Visited May 2012