“Last Day of Wine Week”

Smith & Wollensky - Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 19th and Walnut
Description: Refined luxury in Philadelphia’s iconic square. Overlooking the historic Rittenhouse Square Park planned by founding father William Penn, our Philadelphia restaurant offers a panoramic view of this picturesque center city landmark. The cozy warmth of polished wood, brass, whimsical antiques, and original art create a refined yet casual steakhouse experience throughout. The main bar draws locals and visiting celebrities alike.
NJ
“Last Day of Wine Week”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Almost every year, a bad of sisters and I head to this Rittenhouse Square favorite to celebrate Wine Week over a three-hour lunch. Our first venture into the traditional was in 2003. I still have the Wine Menu offerings list from that day in my purse wallet. Yes, they were that good.

Making reservations weeks ahead, I am able to secure our famous second-floor round table in the corner by the window, over-looking the Square. This is by far the best seat and view in the house. Also, we can woop it up a bit and no one will be affected by our sometimes loud behavior. Ok...MY sometimes loud behavior. *g*

Our waitress and waiter was beyond wonderful this year, especially with a few special requests that made them go back to the kitchen a few extra times. They were patient and very helpful with suggestions from the menu and even laughed it up with us as we took pictures and were silly.

We ordered a variety of appetizers, which I must say were very under-sized and skimpy for the price. They were so-so, just average in taste and quality. The main courses though were very good. Ordered was an aged steak, an Angus burger, a pork tenderloin, and a pasta dish, all hot, tasty, and generous.

The stars of the show, of course, were the wines. For $10.00 and lunch, you get 10 generous samples of a variety of wines from all over the world. This year's Chardonnays were most outstanding! I also enjoyed the interaction with the Wine Reps more this year than last. They were very friendly and informative.

All-in-all, I look forward to this specail event where I get to be with my closest friends and lazily lunch on good food and great wines at this Philadelphia classic Steakhouse.. and so much more!

• Visited March 2013

Philadelphia
“Great View and Food to Match!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Love this place, old world steakhouse in a contemporary setting. Jesse our server is great. The menu changes seasonally and the shrimp cocktail are massive. The Calamari are spicy and perfectly crisp. The Steak Tartare is no longer n menu and missed. We had the Porterhouse for two and it is one amazing massive cut of prime meat. Wow! and the spinach and lyonnaise potatoes and mushrooms are awesome. Don't miss the mega chocolate cake.....Will be back soon. Service Rocks!!!

• Visited January 2013
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
“This joint won't disappoint !”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place is great ! The view, the food, the staff nothing could be better. The wine list is superb. We will return for sure.

Visited March 2013
Philadel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“GREAT Service, good food...”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

While staying at The Rittenhouse, we got a last-minute reservation for my family of 5 to the Smith & Wollensky. Right through the doors in the lobby and into the restaurant. It was 5:30pm on a Saturday night, so we expected the place to be relatively busy, which it wasn't. Good for us, as the hostess met us with an enthusiastic smile and walked us to our table - upstairs in a window nook, overlooking Rittenhouse Square. A perfect location for 2 adults with 3 small children!

After being seated, our Server, Fabian, arrived and began to explain the menu and the house specials to us. After some struggles getting our kids to pick their food, Fabian arrived back at the table and offere to have some "off menu" items prepared for the kids...something we were VERY thankful for! The standard menu has nothing in the form of a "kids menu", although the Room Service Menu for S&W at The Rittenhouse does. Fabian suggested some items to my wife and I, and our order was placed. I must say, that throughout our dining experience, the service was excellent. The staff was attentive, without being overly annoying (if you can understand that?!).

Drinks and freshly baked bread came quickly, and the appetizers came out relatively quick, as did my wife's salad. The main course arrived and this is where a bit of disappointment came. First, the Bone-In Ribeye (28oz as stated on the menu) was a let down. While it was cooked to my liking, my guess is that the "bone" portion weighed more than the actual meat. My wife ordered the 10oz filet, medium, and it came well done. This caused a $52 steak to be dry and unsatisfactory. The grilled asparagus, one of the sides, was overcooked and soggy. The kids dish, however, consisted of chicken tenders and fries - for $12, the plate was OVERFLOWING with the tenders (looked like an entire chicken!) They were cooked to perfection, and the fries were pretty damn good as well!!!! In error, the staff delivered the truffled mac and cheese - when mentioned to our Server, Fabian, he quickly removed the dish and ensured that it was not added to our bill.

While we did not stay for dessert, I will say that it did look pretty good when it was presented to the surrounding tables.

Take of it what you will, but the food was a bit of a let down for the price we paid, and the hype surrounding this place. The rank I gave was based solely on the great service we received from Fabian, and his attentiveness to us, and our children. I will say that the restaurant was not overly packed - in fact walking out, there were maybe 3 people at the bar and the restaurant was nowhere near half-way full, so I cannot see how the steaks would have been that terrible coming from the kitchen.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Paul J
“Consistently excellent!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times, and always look forward to coming back. While the food and wine are always excellent - what separates Smith and Wollensky from other restaurants are their people. They just "Get it"! It's truly an experience when I come and have referred many friends and customers who have been blown away. Their slogan "You've Arrived" is spot on because once you're their you've truly arrived at perfection.

Thank you Smith and Wollensky for all that you do, and I will be back Saturday!

Matt Romano