“Perfect Coffee, excellent staff”

La Colombe Coffee Roasters
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center West
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Perfect Coffee, excellent staff”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I visited the cafe located in front of City Hall. I was there twice and the coffee was excellent both times. The first time I had pastries as well, they were first class. The staff is very friendly and you feel the pride for their work, it communicates in the coffee. Do not expect Soy Latte Tea with whatever, here they serve real coffee. They do care for the detail, from the porcelain cups to their Art in the frost. Do not miss it.

Visited February 2013

New York
“Fine, But I Don't See What All the Fuss Is About”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stopped at La Colombe on the advice of our Frommer's guide, and for the life of me, I can't see why this was such a must-see. La Colombe itself is on the smaller side, with seating for about 20. The coffee was very good (and priced accordingly) and the almond croissant was equally as good.

As for the ambience, the crowd was overwhelmingly made up of self/or unemployed yuppies, who seemed intent on spending the better half of the day there. The remaining folks were uninterested parents who stared off into space while their obnoxious children crashed into everyone and everything. Don't get me wrong, the coffee and food is good, but it's not worth a trip unto itself.

Toronto, Canada
“Great Coffee, great service, fun vibe!”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stopped at the location close to Rittenhouse Square for coffee on our recent visit to Philadelphia. The coffee reviews were really good and I have to agree with them. Both my husband and I thought our coffees were great.
The service was excellent and the ambience was terrific even though the place was pretty busy.

Raleigh,NC
“Amazing coffee house”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were visiting my parents in the Philly burbs for Christmas and decided to drive into Center City to get some coffee. My husband is a coffee snob. I am a tree huggy save the world and only buy fair trade kind of gal. We went to the location right off of Walnut on Christmas eve day morning. Very comfortable place as soon as we walked in. The line was about 10 people long but it moved swiftly. There were lulls in the line for the hour we were there but even when it was 10 people long the two guys behind the counter moved swiftly (and quietly) and got everyone their coffee.
The vibe of this place is not manic high maintenance haute like a certain chain with a green mermaid. And it isn't loud. Some great music played and the conversations were low. No one is yelling out "expresso with soy milk" or whatever someone has ordered. A calm coffee house can exist!

The odd thing about La Colombe is there is no price list or menu of any sort. We first got one cup of coffee and four 12 ounce bags of whole bean coffee and the guy behind the counter said "$40". We figured the bags of coffee would be about $10-12 each. We sat and people watched for an hour and then went up and bought another cup of coffee (I was drinking water from their cool water cooler with info on building wells in Africa) and 2 pastries. Again the guy behind the bar gave us a whole number $5. It almost felt like he was making up pricing on the fly. I am sure the locals know what the price of a cup of coffee is but we still have no idea. Great coffee, great place, great vibe.

philadelphia, pa
“The Best Coffee House in Philly”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Nothing beats La Calombe. Period. Don't miss it if you love your coffee and pastry. There is no much else to say. Just don't miss it.

Visited December 2012