“Catering - one major gaffe, otherwise excellent”

California Tortilla
Ranked #1,344 of 5,204 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Reviewed January 16, 2018

We scheduled a catering order for two post holiday associate celebrations at our work, both the same day, one at 11, the other at 5. Let me talk about the very good, and, then touch on the error that took this review from a sure 5 star to 4 stars.

The food. Plentiful, tasty, well seasoned. We paid the $25 for delivery and set up, and, not having the hassle of having to pick the food up ourselves, this was money well spent. Besides the food they provide all the plates, plasticware, napkins, sauces etc. We had the taco party and the fajita party. People enjoyed the food, nicely kept warm with a series of chafing racks. Chips, salsa, sour cream, guacamole were all included. Nobody left hungry, it was a hit.

The gaffe. I don't know if this should be pinned on the store, or, on the corporate center that accepts and facilitates the catering orders. We needed lunch at 11AM. This was strongly stressed at time of order placement. Was told food would arrive between 10:15 and 10:30 to allow ample set-up time. They did not arrive until 11:15. A group of employees helped with the set up, but, it really proved disastrous as there was a lot of wasted time sitting around doing nothing. Some people, who were going to stay for the "fiesta" at the end of their shift actually left. Manager Robbie was extremely apologetic, and, the 5PM party went perfectly. A timing communication breakdown like this, however, was completely unacceptable.

Would I recommend them or use them again? Absolutely. Just be sure that every "I" is dotted and "T" is crossed when you are making the plan so that things run smoothly.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

We visited for lunch today and ordered a california bowl. The chicken and rice were cold. Avocados and spinach was the freshest ingredients in the bowl. Pros were decent proportion and fast service. Overall not a great place out for lunch.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed July 15, 2017

I love having a freshly made tortilla from CalTort! They always offer discounts or promotions and their rewards system is great. Definitely fresh ingredients and a well stuffed tortilla that feeds me lunch and dinner all in one!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed May 4, 2017 via mobile

Just ate at CA Tortilla for the first time and had a superb salad. Chicken Mango salad was a wonderfully fresh, tasty and large lunch portion and cost less than $10. I'll definitely be back because food this tasty and fresh bears repeating.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed September 30, 2016

I tryed this restaurant at the Philadelphia airport for the first time and the experience for a salad was great. Really good flavor, size and fresh.
The price much better. I recomend this restaurant is like fast food but good.

Date of visit: September 2016